But second, without that dumpster, I think I would be way less inclined to go to church and church-related functions. Perhaps I shouldn't internet-admit this, but it's already difficult for me to drag myself out of bed and get ready on Sunday mornings. Now that I don't know anyone and could happily slide into anonymous semi-inactivity? Way harder.
(I know that some people would think of church as an awesome way to meet new people, but I'm a girl who takes the path of least resistance. Staying home and watching movies? Painting the canvases I bought at the Michael's sale? Blogging? All preferable to driving ten minutes to meet new people at FHE.)
But - and here's where my gratitude for dumpsters comes in - I do need to get rid of all this trash.
So on Monday, I went to family home evening. I showed up ten minutes late and still managed to be caught in the awkwardly spiritual intro to playing dodgeball and missionary tag. (I believe there was something about reaffirming commitment? I don't know, I found it uncomfortable, so I rudely deleted text messages instead of listening. I just didn't want to hear and analogy between church and red light/green light.)
Bonus: Got rid of two loads of boxes and bubble wrap.
Then on Wednesday I went to institute. It wasn't too shabby, but I was already tired from a long day at work. As the hour wound down, I started getting antsy, but the teacher made no indications of wrapping things up soon. I leaned over to the girl next to me and asked, "How long is this class?"
"An hour and a half," she whispered back.
I was pretty outraged at this news. I mean, what at church lasts more than an hour? (Granted, the whole church experience technically lasts three hours, but in one-hour chunks, so I can take mental breaks.)
Bonus: Got rid of two loads of boxes, paper and styrofoam. Also ate a bagel. (From the activity, not the trash.)
On Thursday, there was a tornado and flash flood warning in Austin, so I stayed home from enrichment. Pro, I missed enrichment. Con, I lost the opportunity to throw more stuff away. However, I did notice on Wednesday that my junk made up more than half the contents of the church dumpster. Perhaps I should find a new place to unload my crap?
But if I do that, what what will motivate me to go to church tomorrow?
(Don't judge me, you know you'd want to sleep in, too.)
No comments:
Post a Comment