Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

I know I've said this before, but

I do not like

*dies*

or

*grins*

In case you are wondering, this is what people write to indicate they are doing, except not really.  Much like "LOL" really means "silently smiled to myself," *grins* theoretically means I am grinning right now, but what it really means is "I am happy and/or pleased with myself, and the twitterfication of the English language has led me to abbreviate that sentiment with *grins.*"

But the bigger reason that I dislike *dies* and *grins* is that they are too dramatic. 

Not to pull a Daria here, but really, isn't *shrugs* *mehs* *rolls eyes* *stares blankly and turns back to email* a lot more accurate than *dies*?

To end with the ultimate internet send off: Just sayin.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, ru, so harsh! I like them because they add the body language that's missing in an online "conversation". That's why emoticons can come in handy to take the edge off a comments that, by itself, sound harsh. As a moderator on a forum, I welcome them.

    Sorry they bug you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex - that is so awful! What if you'd gone too, do they think the utilities companies would just be like, "JK, you don't have to pay this month"?

    Donna - ha, it's not as bad as all that. I mean, I hate emoticons too (for the same reason, as well as because I think they are often used passive-aggressively, if that makes sense) but I agree that they can be necessary. I probably should have thrown one in on this post. Never fear, when I say I hate something on the internet, it's about with the same intensity that I say I hate people who cut me off in traffic -- in that, it's genuinely irritating but not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind those but for some reason I hate LOL. I will not write it or text it or nothing. No LOL for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie - I used to hate LOL and I once avoided it at all times. But I've gotten a bit lazy, and it has worked its way into my IM speak. I hope it doesn't get into texts or blog posts as well ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Daria!!

    I'm totally guilty of using lol and :D too much. I'm not into the *grins* thing.

    Here's my theory.
    Sometimes I'll look over an email, and realize that my sarcasm might be lost, or people might not know I'm just joking, which I normally am, because I have a hard time taking anything too seriously. Now I feel this need to make sure people know I'm not being serious.
    I know. I know.
    I totally used to make fun of me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This totally cracked me up. I'm not lying when I say that I only write LOL when I am actually laughing out loud. I feel very strongly about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about *dies*. It's so annoying.

    ReplyDelete