Recent conversation:
Boy: I moved here to just kind of get away from it all for awhile.
Me: (thinking this sounds questionable) Oh yeah? What were you up to [in your former state of residence]?
Boy: Well, I had a restaurant and then I was diagnosed with cancer. Now I'm in remission and I sold the restaurant, and I'm just looking to do nothing for a little while.
Me: (feeling quite guilty) Oh wow, congratulations. (Congratulations, Ru? Really?) Do you mind me asking what kind of cancer it was?
Boy: Nah, no big deal. It was testicular, so I lost a nut in the deal. But you know what they say, you can still fly a plane with one propeller.
Me: For sure. (Pause.) Wait, can you?
Boy: What?
Me: Fly a plane with one propeller? Like, literally, not figuratively.
Boy: Oh. Yeah, pretty sure.
Thank you for posting this :) It sounds so much like what I would say/think.
ReplyDeleteI just totally burst out laughing when I read that. LOVE that post. Wow. Awesome.
ReplyDelete