There's this new thing I'm trying lately - whenever I have a thought, I ask myself, "What would a grown-up in this situation do?"
Like today, I didn't want to call a client. Why? I thought he might be grumpy.
Self: Does a grown-up avoid calling someone just because he might be grumpy?
Self: Sigh. No.
Self: I think we know what we need to do here.
Self: Sigh. Yeah.
And so we called the client.
Really, it's done wonders for me so far.
(Aside from the fact that I now internally refer to myself as "we.")
I don't know if you can do it - and it shouldn't be your job - but sometimes a cheery attitude and a lot of {fake} platitudes will get them moving towards not being so grumpy.
ReplyDeleteTrust me - I have never been a lawyer - but waitressing during my college years taught me a hell of a lot about turning a sourpuss into a dream.
It isn't an adult reaction, just an acting job. Even kids can do it. :)
I have to do the same thing, but I have different voices I ask for different things. Joey Ramone, Don Draper, Anthony Bourdaine, etc...Pretty sure I may be on the slow road to schizophrenia.
ReplyDeleteThis is the story of my life.
ReplyDelete