The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore.
- John Adams, letter to Abigail Adams, 1776
Happy Independence Day!
Hope you had a great holiday.
ReplyDeleteThat mini series has been on my To Watch list forever. It's time I get to it!
I need to watch John Adams. I own it, but haven't taken the time to get through the whole thing.
ReplyDeleteHappy 4th, Ru!
You guys will really love it :) Happy 4th!
ReplyDelete