Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Ladies ...

... I think we need to have a talk.

I've noticed an unpleasant trend among our ranks. Namely, it's you thinking anyone who expresses appreciation for your attractiveness is per se creepy.

Now, I'm not saying this is per se NOT creepy. There are times you just don't want a homeless guy saying, "Daaaayum!" as you walk by. (Not me, though. I get nearly all my compliments from the homeless, so KEEP EM COMING.)

But the fact that someone said something flattering* about you does not automatically make them a creep.

You do not have to start waving around your engagement ring, as if to say, "Hey buddy, I'm already someone else's chattel! Move along!"**

You do not get to object to someone remarking on a picture of you (that you put on the INTERNET, presumably to prompt similar compliments from other people) that you look nice or pretty or hot.

You especially do not get to say something along the lines of, "Ugh! How DARE he say that my eyes sparkle like the Mediterranean and my hair is shinier than a Pantene commercial!" to all your friends, so everyone can hear that that you have great eyes and hair, but also that you don't like being "objectified."

(By someone you don't like. Objectification from a significant other would probably be an entirely different story, amiright?)

Think of how your grandma would respond. And then smile and nod, and perhaps change the subject, because no one ever went wrong with that course of action.

And don't run around telling everyone about the creep who dared tell you that you look very nice today. Because you know what is creepy?

Drawing unnecessary attention to yourself by telling people how attractive someone else finds you.




* OK, it might not be objectively flattering, but if it's obvious that the complimenter thought it would be flattering, you should probably just be a damn lady and accept the compliment in good graces.

** I do not think engagement rings, or marriage, make you chattel. I do think it's really weird that you would try to use your ring instead of your words to fend of unwanted attention. THIS TERRITORY HAS ALREADY BEEN MARKED, MISTER!

6 comments:

  1. It's so hard to accept compliments-- like we're horrifyingly vain if we take the compliment without a fight. But it's still awkward/rude to argue it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently doing GUTGAA and saw your blog's name. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on. Sometimes a guy is just trying to give a compliment to make a lady feel good. Doesn't always mean there's some other motive behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Too funny. And also true. I think sometimes people forget the internet is a public place and anyone can see what they post unless they make sure otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm from the GUTGAA. I read your meet and greet post too, but the rant below attracted me.

    I never know how to take compliments (even from family). I usually awkwardly mumble a thank you and walk away fast. Not because I'm creeped out (well, not always) but I just don't know how to respond well.

    That being said, wow. Some members of my gender embarrass me. Isn't anyone polite any more?

    ReplyDelete