Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Adventures in vegetarianism

I am not a vegetarian. I like meat and eat it semi-regularly. But I don't really love more than one serving of meat a day, and there are definitely days I'd prefer to go without it. The trouble is, I feel like whenever I am looking for recipe ideas for entrees, they are all meat-based.

Whenever I do find a good meat-free, impossible-to-screw-up recipe, I feel like I ought to share it. (Hint ... you can also feel free to share yours with me.)

Vegetarian stuffed peppers (and/or enchiladas)

Ingredients:
4-5 regular sized bell peppers, sliced in half to make cups, seeds removed

2 8-ounce cans of low sodium tomato sauce

1 can black beans

fresh corn (I sliced the corn off four cobs because I like it better that way -- I'm sure canned would also be good.)

rice (I used Greek lemon rice, simply because Hannah, Diego, and I took a trip to our local souvlaki place and ended up with lots of leftovers. I think it turned out really well with the lemon, but any rice will do. Hannah also uses quinoa when she makes stuffed peppers, which is also super delish.)

Veggies of choice (I like black olives and sweet potatoes.)

Shredded cheese

Chili powder, two cloves fresh garlic diced, basil

Mix the stuffing ingredients in large bowl. Add as much rice and/or quinoa, beans, cheese and vegetables as you'd like until your stuffing is of scoopable consistency (e.g., when you take a spoon and put it into your pepper cups, it isn't going to run out of the cups, but basically stay in the same formation you left it). Add diced garlic and a dash of chili powder and basil. (Or more, if you're into that sort of thing.) Place your peppers in a casserole dish and then stuff those mo-fos with your oh-so-delicious stuffing.

Bake for 35 minutes at 325 degrees, then put some extra shredded cheese on top of each cup, bake for about 5 more minutes or until the cheese on top is brown and bubbly. The stuffing should be heated through, cheese melted, and the peppers should still have a little bit of crunch. (Or at least, that's how I like them. Bake them for longer if you like softer peppers.)

This filling is also super good (not an exaggeration, just being honest) in enchiladas. Just wrap the filling up in a flour tortilla, pour enchilada sauce (I use store-bought, since I am lazy and it always comes out delish) on top, sprinkle with cheese, 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Voila! (Except at this point, I feel like I should write "walla," since that's what I've come to expect at the end of recipe blog posts, and I want to be one of the cool kids.)

Let me know if you try the recipe, and don't forget about the 50 page critique contest! (See one post below ...)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for using 'voila' instead of 'walla'. Hopefully your correct usage will start to catch on if enough people use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN!!! I only speak a little French, but man does that get my goat.

      Delete