Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Meet and Greet

Hello to everyone from the Gearing Up To Get An Agent Blogfest! I'm very excited to meet you and hope to make it around to a few other blogs before all these events are through. In the meantime, here is the questionnaire Deana passed around. Hope it helps you to get to know me a little better. 

-Where do you write?

I try to write in my office. When I bought the Casa, the office and the porch were my favorite things. The office has taken a little longer to spruce up than other areas of the house, but I'm a big fan at the moment.

(Please ignore all the lawyer stuff. This room is presently pulling double-duty.)


Home office: Fake Tiffany lamp, robot clock, cartoon lineup, San Pellegrino. Three of these four things were actually purchased by Diego. Can you guess which three?

However, I can make myself write just about anywhere, though not quite as effectively. Waiting for someone at work to call me back? Watching a reality TV marathon on the couch? I probably also have my laptop and Word document open.

-Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I'm re-reading the entire Harry Potter series in preparation for a pub trivia tournament on Thursday. Wish me luck!

Oh, you mean of the stuff that is usually here? Well, to my left is a built in book shelf full of staplers, code books, The Federalist Papers, a food scale for weighing letters, and a can of Four Loko that is very near and dear to my heart.

-Favorite time to write?

Afternoons and evenings. This having a "real job" nonsense seriously cramps my style.

-Drink of choice while writing?

Diet Coke, except when I'm trying to get off Diet Coke. Then probably some kind of sparkling or flavored water.

-When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?

It kind of depends on my mood. I almost always have music or TV on in the background, unless I am stuck. Then I'd rather have silence to try to figure out where I should go next.

-What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?

I am currently working on two projects, both of them semi-inspired by my sorority days. One is a New Adult contemporary romance with LDS themes. The other is a murder mystery. Both are chock full of fun facts about my alma mater! Ahh, sororities are fun.

-What's your most valuable writing tip?

Writing is like exercising. The more you do it, the easier it gets. But if you need a break, you need a break.

36 comments:

  1. You're re-reading the whole series for THURSDAY and you're only on #3? Good luck with DAT! :D

    And, yeah, day jobs are serious style-crampers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wasn't reading in order. :) I prob should have clarified.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree that writing is like exercising. Many parallels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings. Love your writing tip. Now if I could just find the motivation to exercise as much as I want to write. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you! A fellow lawyer, too. :)

    I'm also amazed at how many of us writers are trying to get off the Diet Coke/Pepsi. It's so addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What/when/where is this Harry Potter pub trivia? I need to enter. Love trivia and Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thursday night at Lumpy's downtown. Check out geekswhodrink (dot) com, they have pub quiz challenges Sunday through Thursday at various locations. Sometimes they're themed, but usually random. I bet you'd really enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. I gotta say that I love how you've got the Federalist Papers and a can of Four Loko close by ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog name :) Nice to meet you fellow GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE trivia. Do it every week with friends when I'm not traveling. Good luck with the Harry Potter one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog name. Love Harry Potter. Federalist papers??? Not so much. :)
    Good to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely hope you're right about writing being like exercising. :) I'm your 241st follower! Nice to meet you. :)

    AA
    http://anallegedauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute home office. I will totally have one of those someday. Probably around the time I can retire from the pesky day job, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Popped over to visit a fellow GUTGAA-ler. I also like cupcakes and Diet Coke (together or separately). I love the name of your blog. I much prefer writing to exercise (well, I love walking but I'm not sure that counts). Good luck with your pitch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When my husband and I combined households (both of us were divorced single parents), I longed for a desk/home office so that I would have a place to put all my writing stuff - pens/pencils, paper, computer, drafts, etc. We finally have one (of sorts) now, but I find that I only really like my desk for its storage capacity. When it comes to writing, I prefer to do it in the recliner, in the living room. Go figure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, stopping by from GUTGAA. Your YA contemporary with LDS themes sounds interesting...and I love your blog title.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So good luck on your pub HP tournament this week! I love that you're prepping and I hope you win. New Adult is such an interesting genre. I always wondered why there was zero literature for college kids when I was in college. It only makes sense that it's finally a thing. Good luck with your manuscripts!
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I look forward to reading your blog as well :)

      Delete
  16. The Prisoner of Azkaban is one of my favorites. I don't have an office retreat, but I do use my basement if things get too noisy in the living room. Have fun during GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Ru,

    Nice to meet you. I enjoyed reading your answers to the GUTGAA questions. Nice workspace, even if it's pulling double duty. I love the shelves. *DROOL* Your WIPs sound intriguing. Happy writing!

    Warm regards,

    Don #138

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great to meet you and check out your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to meet you! I was also in a sorority. I was a Kappa Delta. What about you? Where'd you to school? Looking forward to seeing your around GUTGAA!

    http://thinkingtoinking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a Tri Delt at the University of Utah. Where did you go? Good to meet you too! Your blog seems really fun :)

      Delete
  20. Humor is my favorite characteristic of any writer :) I love your little office. I bet I could keep out the kid and hubby in there... nice to meet you and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice to meet you. Your blog title is awesome. Good luck on the Harry Potter trivia. Those are great books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a great writing space!
    good luck with your tournament!
    yay diet coke!
    and i dont like exercise but like your analogy =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hooray for New Adult fiction! :-) Nice to meet you. Now I'm gonna go read your post before this one because it caught my eye as I was clicking here to comment. (Daaaayum! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoy your sense of humor. Good luck with GUTGAA and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello! I too am a Diet Coke drinker except when I am trying not to drink it and I drink Crystal light. I too have started a book delving into my life during my sorority days! Seriously there is so much material in those years.
    Connie
    http://connie-avidreader.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm seeing a lot of New Adult Fiction on this blog hop! Its seems to be a booming market.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, Ru--

    Enjoyed your comments, and agree "When you need a break," yes, you definitely need one. I'm up off my office chair at least twice an hour (sometimes just to run downstairs for a coffee refill, but it gives my eyes and mind a mini-break). And sometimes you just need to take a day off to recharge.

    Have a good time with the rest of GUTGAA.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Ru, Saying hello from GUTGAA...I also saw your comment for the critique partner/beta reader, and like you, I'm working on a bunch of different stuff. Good luck with the blogfest!

    ReplyDelete