Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Calling all awesome people!

Utah International, a charter school for refugees and recent immigrants, is looking to build its library and I am trying to help.

The school is in need of young adult fiction, appropriate adult fiction, graphic novels, current science and other non-fiction works, dictionaries, high-quality literature in Spanish, Arabic, and other languages.

If you have any new or GENTLY used books you could donate to this cause, please email me at theadventuresoflawyergirl (at) gmail. If I get enough responses, I'll host a giveaway. The more awesome the responses, the more awesome the prizes. :)

In the meantime, if you had to pick a book to buy for these kids, what book would you pick and why?

3 comments:

  1. I think this is awesome! I have no idea what I would send, but I'm going to scour the comments on this post for ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny Tremain-Esther Forbes. It almost naive now with its 1950's view of America, but the hero's journey Johnny has to go through resonates with all of us. I do remember being able to really enjoy the unabashed patriotism before I got old and cynical at age 21ish.

    My second suggestion is The Once and Future King. Another hero's journey that is 900 pages of magic, themes, symbolism and weird names. I have a long standing love-affair with the Arthurian Legends and this version is the where approachable meets literary skill.

    Third is a Separate Peace because I love it and the world always needs more books about rowing and rep-stripe ties.

    Fourth and final Bleak House because if I had to read it so should someone else.

    ReplyDelete