Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Is this a dumb idea ... or a REALLY dumb idea?

Let's talk triathalons, people.

Specifically, baby triathalons -- say, for example, a 1 mile swim, 12 mile bike ride, 3 mile run.

You could do that, right? I mean, assuming you know how to swim and ride a bike. We descended from people who probably at one time or another had to run from tigers, so it's in your genetic code somewhere.

And assuming one is capable of a 1 mile swim, a 12 mile bike ride, or a 3 mile run, it's not all that nutty to say, "Hey, I know! I'll do them all, one after the other!"  (Right? Let's go with "right.")

My biggest question is this ... assuming that one were to have the guts to sign up for such an event, with minimal available training time ... how do you go from the swim to the bike ride? Is there a changing station of some kind?

Because while I am willing to put myself though various kinds of physical hell, I am not willing to squeeze wet bikini bottoms into bike shorts for a 12 mile ride.

14 comments:

  1. You buy a pair of triathalon shorts and many times wear a wet suit over the top so that they're pretty dry by the run anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said "baby triathlons" I pictured... babies... benig forced to try a triathlon. I thought- "I wonder what they would do for the bike ride. Babies can't ride bikes." Or swim a mile or run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 mile is a pretty long swim! Of course you can do it, though. And yes, wear tri shorts and a sports bra to swim in, then toss on a t-shirt for the bike ride. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who does triathlons, and she loves it. I don't know how, but she does.
    Also, she blogs about it: http://ironash.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is this great stuff called trislide that helps with sliding on and off wetsuits. $15/can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just gonna go with bad idea, instead of giving all the great advice that others did above me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ru, I've done about 50 triathlons of various distances (from Sprints up to an Ironman), and you can definitely do it! Colt is right. A tri suit will dry fairly quickly, and you can (read: should/highly recommend) use Trislide or Body Glide to prevent chafing throughout, and it also makes pulling off a wetsuit easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice and encouragement :)

      50 triathalons? Tip of my invisible hat to you, sir.

      Delete
  8. Other than just commenting to say how truly admirable it is you even have a desire to do this (seriously, I can't think of anything that sounds harder) ... Do you have a particular one in mind? An old roommate of mine used to work at TriUtah and she says that even though they are all the same distance, some mini triathalon courses/races are MUCH easier than others. Maybe it would be worth finding out which ones are easiest/hardest so that you don't accidentally find yourself having a more difficult than necessary first experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is one of the gentler ones -- the swim (my weakest link) is downriver, and the biking and running sections are on paved road. So I think if there's ever going to be a triathalon for me to cut my teeth on, this one is it.

      Still nervous, though :)

      Delete
  9. Another thing I just learned about triathlons? Their proper spelling. Who knew there wasn't another A in there, amiright?

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep, ur right. no extra 'a'.

    ReplyDelete