Pages

Friday, January 8, 2016

Take your cut

How do you make time for the "extras" in your life? Once you're done with your daily adulting (working, making food, cleaning your home, laundry, caring for pets and/or children, etc.), where do you fit in the rest (working out, creative pursuits, connecting with friends, time with beloved Netflix accounts, etc.)?

My friend Will likes to say that, if he's going to get any time to work out or play guitar, he needs to do it first thing in the morning. He calls it "taking your cut off the top," and argues that much like with a savings account, if you don't pay yourself first you'll find yourself running out of what you need by the end of the day.

(PS, Gentleman Caller recently joined Will's band, Black Bess and the Butchers. If you're in the Salt Lake City area, you should definitely check them out sometime. They're musically talented and also fun to look at ... wow, did I just make that creepy for you all? So sorry.)

I usually try to find time at the end of the day or on weekends, but I am starting to realize that Will is right -- at least when it comes to the hard stuff. If I want to read or hang out with friends or veg out to a Friday Night Lights marathon, I will always have the energy for that at the end of the day. But if I want to find the time to write or go to the gym -- things I usually find hard to start but am always glad when once I'm done -- well. I might find myself completely sapped.

So I've been trying to flip that around the last few months -- gym in the mornings (sob) and writing while the sun is still out (whenever possible). In the next few weeks I might get EVEN CRAZIER and start writing BEFORE the sun is up, because Day Job is about to go bananas. 

How do you find the time for the extras in your life?

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I'm terrible about this. I don't make time for the things I want to do. I mean, I guess I sort of do because I choose how I spend my time. But I'm not getting around to things like making time for reading or going to the gym. I need to do better about that.

    ReplyDelete