Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

diversity and the Academy Awards: part 2

Can you believe there's a Part 2?

Me neither.

Last year I wrote about the lack of diversity in 2014 movie releases. To my completely uneducated eye, it seems like 2015 did slightly better (Creed, Straight Outta Compton, Concussion ... there are probably more, but I haven't seen that many movies this year). But despite that, there are no POC nominated for acting Oscars this go-around either.

Again, this isn't about saying people like Rachel McAdams or Michael Fassbender don't deserve their nominations. They do!

I am simply saying (for the second year in a row, apparently) that many of the institutions that support popular culture (primarily film production companies) overwhelmingly produce stories about white men and then overwhelmingly promote stories about white men. When that happens, the field from which the "best" are selected is already stacked against reality.

(Speaking of stacking the deck against reality ... Jennifer Lawrence, I love you, but it is time you stop accepting roles that are clearly meant for a 40 year old woman. Kthxbye. Also, remember when Emma Stone played an Asian woman? Oh 2015 casting directors, you crazy.)

I have no idea when this trend is going to shift. But in the meantime, I'm going to watch Sense and Sensibility this weekend to commemorate Alan Rickman (the best), go catch Creed while it's still in theaters (and rocking a 96% positive review rate on Rotten Tomatoes), and root for Mad Max: Fury Road to win literally everything on February 28th.

1 comment:

  1. I do think the Academy needs to be made up of a more diverse body of voters. I do. But I think the REAL heart of the issue lies in casting, writing, and directing movies. I look at things like the movie Gravity, which was originally written for a man but ultimately went to Sandra Bullock who rocked that movie. I think we look at movies that are specifically about POC and think, that movie needs more love. I think it's more than that. I think we need to look at roles and ask ourselves, does that part REALLY have to be a white dude? Very often, it does not. It's not about white movies or Hispanic movies or black movies. It's about making movies that are accessible and interesting to everyone and that show the diversity we have in our real life population.

    ReplyDelete