Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Why I wrote my Pitch Wars novel

I am so stoked to be part of Pitch Wars. Have I mentioned that lately? I have been so lucky to get feedback from my mentor, Emily Martin. (Remember that name, folks, her first book comes out next year!) I loved my book back in August when I applied—I love it even more now.

So when some of my fellow mentees suggested we create a blog hop about why we wrote our Pitch Wars novel, I was excited to participate.

There were two things I wanted to do when I first got the idea for my book. First, I wanted to write a book that was primarily about the friendships between girls. Yes, there is a smidgen of romance in my book, but the important relationships are between four girls who have been friends for most of their lives. 

Second, I had read THE SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, and I’d been beyond impressed at the way that Matthew Quick wrote a story about something that was serious (mental illness and traumatic brain injury) that was simultaneously heartbreaking and hilarious. It seems like even the saddest things are usually also pretty funny, and for a long time I wanted to write something about a serious topic (an attempted suicide) in a funny way.  When my four main characters (Rosie, Ket, Jenna, and Elin) began to take shape in my mind, I knew right away that I wanted to make people laugh just as much (if not more) than I wanted to make them cry.


So that’s it! My main reasons for writing my book. I hope you all get to read it someday.

11 comments:

  1. I want to read this book. Love Matthew Quick and books that make me laugh and cry. Also, my book is about five boys with a longstanding friendship, so I'm extra curious to see how you handled the same kind of friendship from a different gender view point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really hope we all get to read everyone's books when this is over :) Good luck in the agent round!

      Delete
    2. This sounds lovely. I'm so impressed by authors who pull off the humor and pathos. Good luck in pitch wars!

      Delete
  2. Aaaaaah, love friendship books. Mine is primarily about friendship too, and I would love to read more. Love Matthew Quick too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Isn't he the best?

      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I so want to read this one!! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing. And I love SLPB. And friendship stories. Putting this one on my list of ones to look out for! Good luck to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So want to read this--we need more books about female friendships. Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are awesome! Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are very good reasons. I hope you made the cut! :)

    ReplyDelete