Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

What? I'm only ...18 months late with this one

Code Name Verity. Can we talk about Code Name Verity already?!

Unlike Fables (sorry, Fables), this one lived up to all the hype. I bought it for Hannah and Echo for Christmas and am currently forcing my dad to read it, too.

I'd resisted reading Code Name Verity for the exact same reason I put off The Fault in Our Stars for over a year--I thought there was no way this book could live up to all the expectations built by my Twitter feed. (Well, that, and that I found the original cover surprisingly uninspiring. I am kind bad that way with covers.) But the thing is ... it was even better than I'd expected.

From the Amazon description:
Oct. 11th, 1943-A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage, failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy? 


The only trouble with this book is that, much like Gone Girl, I can't say too much about it, other than what is already written on the back cover. I will tell you this, though: If you feel lost for the first few chapters, don't worry. You're not alone. 

Go. Read it. You won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. I read this based off of your recommendation and loved it. I always trust your recommendations so please post about them as they come.

    ReplyDelete