Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

the reading wagon

I am back on it! Or off it, whichever means I'm reading again.

It has been a crazy past few months in Ru-Land, I will be honest. I've never been so grateful to have a week off work in which I did absolutely nothing but recharge.

 Most recently read: Fables; Legends in Exile

I have been wanting to read Fables ever since I heard (from more than one person) that it was the comic series that Once Upon a Time ripped off. To be fair, I don't think that's entirely the case, though there are definitely some strong similarities with their concepts.

From the description: When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile. Disguised among the normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters have created their own peaceful and secret society within an exclusive luxury apartment building called Fabletown. But when Snow White's party-girl sister, Rose Red, is apparently murdered, it is up to Fabletown's sheriff, a reformed and pardoned Big Bad Wolf, to determine if the killer is Bluebeard, Rose's ex-lover and notorious wife killer, or Jack, her current live-in boyfriend and former beanstalk-climber.

Best moment? When you realize that "Prince Charming" has married not only Snow White, but Cinderella, and they've both divorced him for cheating on them.

Second-best-moment? A sly reference to Narnia, with the Fables claiming they didn't attempt to stop the Adversary from killing the Lion, since no one much liked his self-righteousness anyway.

Overall thoughts: I've heard great things about the Fables graphic novels and they've won buckets of awards, but the first volume didn't really win me over. I'll check out the next one to see if it picks up steam, but for now put me down for a solid "meh."

Have any of you read Fables? At what point do they reach "un-put-down-able" status?

1 comment:

  1. congrats on getting back on the wagon! I've never heard of Fables, but to be honest I've never read a graphic novel before so that's probably why. Hope you have better reading luck next time :)

    ReplyDelete