Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Game Plan

Why, yes, I am attempting NaNoWriMo for the third time, and maybe this time I will even succeed.

The last two years, I ran out of steam about halfway through the month. It wasn't that the my story didn't excite me (the first one actually turned into a great project), it was that seeing the deficits became overwhelming.

In case you didn't know, in order to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, you have to write about 1,667 words a day. If you track your progress via the NaNo website, your stats counter will show you your daily average and how many words you will have to write in order to stay on track.

As someone who has no real average (4,000 one day can be 60 the next), that is really daunting.

So this year, I have a plan to get me to the NaNo finish line for the first time.

1. Two different ideas
Where's the rule that the 50,000 words have to be the same book? Nowhere, I tells ya! So now when I am stuck, I am going to switch over to a second project. Hopefully I get two novellas (or at least two great starts on two novellas) by the time December rolls around.

2. Mini writing retreats
I have a few vacation days at work and I plan to use them (and only one time for skiing). Fortunately, I plan to meet up with some writings pals at various coffee shops for when I need human interaction, and Write Club meetups on Twitter for when the Internets will do.

3. Write Or Die
 I hate this program already, but I feel like it's going to do great things for me.

4. The two great catch-ups.
It is sort of inevitable that at some point, I will fall behind. It's just my writing style -- sometimes I have to stare out a window for an hour or so to figure out what I'm going to do. Fortunately, November comes gift wrapped with two very special holidays: Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving. If I can double my production over these two holiday weekends, I will hopefully have enough buffer to make it through.

5. Clean living.
This one is going to sound crazy town, but bear with me. Normally when I am writing, either fiction or memos, I stuff my face with Jolly Ranchers, licorice, and Diet Coke. It's a habit I got into in junior high, and it's something that takes a far larger toll on my adult metabolism than I'd like to admit.

So in addition to striving for 1,667 words a day, I am also going to ax the caffeine and refined sugar from my life, and add in more regular workouts. Motivational memes on Pinterest lead me to believe that this will have a positive impact on me, both physically and mentally, and who can argue with Pinterest?

Any of you all doing NaNo next month? And if you're not, want to start a different, unrelated goal so we can cheer each other on anyway?

4 comments:

  1. Every time I argue with Pinterest, I lose. And I'm humiliated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing NaNo again. I can't believe it starts on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds brilliant! I'm so glad I saw this post :) Totally doing it! I'll probably fail miserably, but it seems like a fun thing to try.

    ReplyDelete