Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Really great books, really big despair

When you want to be a published writer, you usually also love to read. But sometimes that love of reading can make you feel ... horribly, horribly depressed.

Look, I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others, and you shouldn't engage in long-term moping. But sometimes, a little mope is just what the doctor ordered. This may have something to do with the fact that my Day Job has been bonkers as of late and writing time is hard to come by, but lately all I want to do is bake as my To Do List grows.

And now and then, have a little mope.

So here's my list of books I wish I could have written. This is not an exhaustive list, nor are these all of my favorite books. Each of these books does something I think I am not great at -- they surprise the reader. (I'm more of the "unsubtly-signal-where-you-'re-going-for-pages-and-pages" type of writer, but I'm working on it.) It's not a completely negative cause, since hopefully you all will see some books you'd like to read.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
(Don't Wikipedia it, because it's got one heck of a twist.)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
(No, I don't have a thing for books with a weird twist in the middle, why do you ask?)

Mind Games by Kiersten White
(The first one without a twist, but with a unique concept that was somehow also instantly relateable.)

White Cat by Holly Black
(Ditto to Kiersten White above -- this weird mix of mob story and fantasy somehow didn't even take 10 pages to get into.) 

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly
(To be honest, sometimes Michael Connelly doesn't manage to char my tree, but when he's on his game, he's really on his game. And I can't think of anyone who does the legal thriller better than him.)

Have you ever read a book and thought, "Damn. Wish I'd had that idea."?






4 comments:

  1. ugh... Never Let Me Go ... Amazing concept that made me lose faith in humanity, because I can kind of imagine that scenario happening at some point. Is that weird? I hope it never comes to that.

    Gone Girl's twist blew my mind. I spent time liking and disliking characters, judging them, but then... how could you do this to me, Gillian Flynn?

    Haven't read the other ones, but I'm kind of curious now. As for "Wish I'd had that idea." - I think this about half of the dystopian books I read. For some reason it amazes me when people come up with interesting concepts for our messed up future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true, it's always the dystopian (or really grim view of humanity) books that get me thinking, "Why can't I think like that?" Hahaha.

      Delete
  2. A couple of these books are on my to-read list.

    I don't remember a book that I wish I'd written (besides, like, Harry Potter), but there are a few authors I wish I could write more like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these but Gone Girl has been on my list for a while. NEED to get this one :)

    ReplyDelete