Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Announcing ... something very exciting

Friends, countrymen, citizens of the Internets:

I have a website.

www.ruthannesnow.com

If you've checked out my tab on 30 by 30, you will have noticed two things. One, that I'm almost 29 and a half, and I still haven't come up with thirty goals. Two, that my very first goal on the list is "publish a book."

I hope you know that, when I am doing a terrible job blogging, I am working on some of those goals. Or watching TV. Both worthy pursuits.

As we all know, in 2013, you've got to have an online presence in addition to being a good writer. So in addition to stepping up my writing game from "enjoyable hobby" to "serious pursuit," I have tried to tweet more (But it's hard! I much prefer reading everyone else's tweets!), created a Facebook author page (Gag, I know, I hate me too), and hired my dear sister Emma (Eep! A real name!) to build me a bitchin' website.

Now, I'm not artistically inclined, personally, which is why I am so delighted that Emma and her cohorts are Squarehook (like them on facebook here) are. They took all my random ideas (I like things that are simple and black and white, but I like bright colors. Not too many bright colors. Photos of downtown? Not too many pages. But enough pages. Oh, and a Spencer logo!) and turned them into a pretty sweet website, if I do say so myself.

Not only is the website aesthetically pleasing, but it's pretty functional, too. Squarehook specializes in mobile-accessible websites, meaning that my site will not look all wonks when viewed on a smartphone or tablet. And soon, Emma is going to teach me how to update everything on my own, so I won't need to pester her every time I want a change. (Thanks, Emma!) Squarehook both designs awesome websites, and creates a user-friendly tool so customers can become mini-webmasters themselves.

The website is, of course, a work in progress, in that I hope it someday describes my books, or includes quotes from (or about!) my books, but for now, I'm pretty dang pleased with how everything has gone.

If you could check out my website and let me know if there's anything you think I'm missing, I would seriously appreciate it. (Also, if you have any ideas for goals for me? Completing my list of goals should seriously be part of my 30 by 30 ...)

And if you have any website needs of your own, be they big or small, please check out Squarehook. You will not be disappointed.

Edited to add: Emma's office number is 801-386-9828, and she would love to talk to anyone who is interested a potential website. She wanted me to make sure you all know that they have a wide range of prices (heck, that's why I went to them), so really, no project is too small.

12 comments:

  1. Website looks cool, dig the photos of downtown. One suggestion: The pages with the quotes on them transition quite quickly, enough so that even with the express goal of reading the quote, sometimes the page would transition before I had finished. So maybe give more time on each page. Or find shorter quotes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, good point! Thanks, I'll be fixing that one this week :)

      Delete
  2. I like the website a lot! I agree with 'J' about having a little more time for the quote pages.
    Also, maybe have links to outside pages (like your blog/instagram/tumblr) open in a new tab/page. That way people don't lose where they are on the webpage. That'd be helpful in the blog, too, and it's an easy click in the dialog box when you add a link--look for 'Open this link in a new window'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try to fix those as well :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on having a bona fide website! I keep thinking I need to do that too, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should, it's really fun ...

      Delete
  4. The website looks great! Clean and classy - I love it. I agree with the above comments about links and quotes. Is squarehook somehow related to squarespace? The style looks similar and so does their main website. Just curious, because I use squarespace for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianna! I actually had to ask my sister to answer your question because I'm not super tech-savvy. No, they aren't affiliated at all with Squarespace. Squarespace is based out of New York, and Squarehook is based in Salt Lake City, which is obviously a lot more convenient for me. :)

      Emma wanted me to add that the basic differences are that Squarespace (NY) offers some really great, clean templates, but Squarehook (Utah) is more into customizing things. Squarehook also has a blog feature to incorporate existing blogs, so basically I could also reformat my entire existing blog and put it on the website without losing anything. (Working on that one still. I'm a bit lazy. :))

      Anyway, I hope all that makes sense! Thanks for checking out the site :)

      Delete
    2. Aaaaaaand one more clarification: Squarehook also offers templates that you can pick, but their emphasis is on customization. For example, my site is based on a template I sort of liked, but then they made all the changes I wanted. You could also ask them to build a site from the floor up, or just take a template as-is, but the emphasis is customization.

      And this why I am a lawyer/writer, not a computer person. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you! That makes sense :) I have to admit, it's pretty awesome that they customize specifically for the customers or build from scratch. I have to figure these things out myself with squarespace, even though they support is helpful.

      I hope to see your work up on that website soon!

      Delete
  5. I love the website! The mask is a nice touch. And your dog is so adorable! I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    Also, if you are looking to amp your writing to "serious pursuit," don't become fixated on Tweeting and Facebooking more. They aren't worth it. Focus on the actual writing. Especially since you have a full-time job, your writing time is limited. There are a lot of aspiring writers with huge social footprints, but no books. Likewise, there are authors who aren't big into social media but have published multiple books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! That's so true. I am working on some stuff, but it's in the ... shall we say ... Vault of Secrets at the moment :)

      Delete