Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What's up with your brain today?

I usually read more than one book at a time.

Lately I am reading Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. I am also starting in on new-release One by Leigh Ann Kopans and almost-released Eyre House by Caitlin Greer. (Jealous?)

In fact, Cait recently sent out a teaser ad for her soon-to-be-published novel. Want to see?


I don't think I've ever blogged about this before, but I am so impressed by authors who can self-publish well. I think we've all been lured in by the curiosity of a self-published book before, only to be disappointed by bad writing and worse editing.

To me, those disappointments just make it even more exceptional when writers like Leigh Ann and Cait and so many others can balance writing a good book, getting it professionally edited, commissioning or self-designing a great cover, rolling out promotions, and all the rest that comes with publishing on your own. Frankly, self-publishing is not for everyone, and the people who knock it out of the park ought to get an extra little tip of the ole hat.

So what are you reading these days?

5 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of '1776' (hoping to finish by the 4th of July) and 'Between Husband and Wife'. Very different, but both quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you finish 1776, you should have an HBO John Adams marathon on the 4th :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, will have to check out Eyre House for sure. And yes, self publishing can be very easy to mess up. I think a lot of people jumped on the band wagon without thinking over the logistics of it. Honestly, I don't think I could pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not deep in the same writer-y world as you, so I don't read many self-published books at all. The few that I have read were not good. Bad enough that I couldn't finish them. But that doesn't stop me from thinking that I could totally do it myself.

    I don't like reading more than one book at a time, because it means that I'm not interested enough in one book to stick with it. These days, I have a book in the living room, a book in the baby's room, a stack of books on my nightstand, a book to read in the bath, and piles of New Yorkers everywhere. I'm working my way through Don Delillo's Omega Point, Women and Authority, the third Game of Thrones (that's my bath book), and The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II. I like them all, but I think I need to focus on one at a time to give myself a shot at loving them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally with you on the self-publishing. A year or so ago, I actually swore I would stop reading self-published books because they were almost entirely terrible. But then I read a decent one that restored my faith in self-publication. Not completely. I'm still really picky. But now I know that not all self-pubbed stuff is bad.

    ReplyDelete