Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Book review: Insomnia by JR Johansson

A couple weeks ago, I was lucky enough to get an advanced readers' copy of INSOMNIA by JR Johansson.* 
(Please don't sue me, Flux. Thanks!)
From the back cover:

Every night instead of sleeping, Parker Chipp enters the dream of the last person he's had eye contact with. He spends his nights crushed by other people's fear and pain, by their disturbing secrets--and Parker can never have dreams of his own. The severe exhaustion is crippling him. If nothing changes, Parker could soon be facing psychosis and even death.

Then he meets Mia. Her dreams, calm and beautifully uncomplicated, allow him blissful rest that is utterly addictive. Parker starts going to bizarre lengths to catch Mia's eye every day. Everyone at school thinks he's gone over the edge, even his best friend. And when Mia is threatened by a true stalker, everyone thinks it's Parker.
  
Suffering blackouts, Parker begins to wonder if he is turning into someone dangerous. What if the monster stalking Mia is him after all?

Awesome set up, right? I've been wanting to read this one for awhile.

When I was a kid, I read a lot of R.L. Stein and Christopher Pike. INSOMNIA reminded me of those old-school thrillers in the best possible way. Parker's predicament is delightfully creepy, but treated in a way that is still accessible to teen readers. The secondary characters were relatable and realistic, particularly Parker's best friend Finn. The mystery was compelling and the flow of the book was really smooth.

Highly recommended for teen readers, or adults feeling nostalgic for a shot of Fear Street






* In case you're wondering if this makes me a biased reviewer, I had to give the copy back. Full disclosure.

6 comments:

  1. I'm SO happy you liked it! Thanks for taking the time to read and write this fantastic review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it's worth a read. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And btw, for your research on marketing, the clincher in catching my interest was a combination of the summary and your recommendation :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, thanks Aaron :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I used to LOVE RL Stine when I was a kid. This sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete