Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

A random poll: Book publicity

Question for all your reader/writer types:

When an author is trying to promote a book, what works for you? What doesn't?

Do contests for gift cards and Kindles really prompt you to consider buying a book, or at least putting it on your to-be-read list? What about blog tours and interviews? Goodreads and Amazon reviews?

Cover reveals? Excerpts from the book? Tweets about the book? Release day countdown widgets?

Are there things you see that you find effective? Annoying? Whatever? Ideas that you'd always thought, "Hey, I wonder why no one does ___________?"

This is something I've been curious about for awhile, having followed a lot of writery blogs/twitter feeds. Any thoughts you might want to share would be greatly appreciated. For anyone who doesn't want to publicly comment, shoot me an email and I'll share your (name-free) suggestions on the old blogaroo for the greater enlightenment of us all.

Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't exposure the name of the game? Still, I think you can go overboard. Not every little milestone needs to be celebrated, ya know? Chumming the water doesn't always bring sharks.

    Like my analogy? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I do! I guess that's kind of what I'm getting at, though ... where do you think the "line" is? And what kind of promotions get a better bang for your buck? If 1,000 re-tweets equal 10 sales, and one blog tour equals 17, and the offer of a critique on your blog gets 3 ... yes, all the sales are good, but what was the return on investment? A blog tour is a lot of work, and could that work have been better spent in a way that readers find more influential? I don't know if there is an answer, but I'm curious to hear what people think.

      Delete
  2. The only thing I find really irritating is when an author posts every. single. positive. review they get. And way too many posts in too short a time. That makes me NOT want to read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, it's book summaries and excerpts that get me interested. If I'm hooked by the topic or writing style, then I'll go check out the book.

    ReplyDelete