Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I is for I don't think that means what you think it means

Ever seen an endorsement for a book that reads something like this ...?

Read Sally's book! She's the bomb!

Read Bob's book! He's so great, and there's no way he wrote something bad!

I want to read BOOK by Katie because there's no way it's not as awesome as she is!

...
...
...

Here's the thing. I understand the reasoning behind such endorsements. If I am ever published, I plan the shill the hell out of myself, and enlist all my friends and family in the same. I suspect some of those endorsements will sound like, "Buy my friend Ru's book! She's so funny/has shiny hair/pays her taxes, you won't regret it."

On some level, that sort of positive word-of-mouth is inevitable.

But friends, being a good person does not mean you produced a good book. This goes back to my previous post about authors who think any criticism of their work is a criticism of them.

Good people write bad books. Bad people write good books. People who reject traditional notions of morality write good, bad, and mediocre books.

So let's save the Good Person = Good Book false equivalency for siblings and elderly relatives, ok?

8 comments:

  1. When WILL your book come out? I'm ready to dole out some of those shiny hair endorsements. And you have that ideal author picture already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh. We shall see, Patty.

      We shall see.

      Delete
  2. Ohmygosh it's SO TRUE. If I read one more "review" of a book like that I'm gonna...well, I'm probably gonna do nothing because they're impossible to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny. I wrote about writer insecurity today and one of my big points was that criticism of your work is not criticism of you!
    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to report that you've abandoned the Challenge? Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey buddy, no need for upspeak. (Or should I say, "No need for upspeak?")

      Didn't really know this was like doing my taxes or something. Feel free to report me to any and all authorities!

      Delete
  5. I have to agree with you and there are so many authors that have not hardened to this fact and really are quite mean about it. On the other hand, there are so many reviewers/readers/bloggers who can't separate the book from the person who wrote it.

    Here's my J-challenge...I didn't see that you had one yet:
    http://smhasty.blogspot.com/2013/04/26-books-that-changed-my-life-10-taking.html

    ReplyDelete