Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

F is for feminism, G is for genre



F is for FEMINISM

Because feminism is the bomb, and for some reason it’s still getting a bum rap in 2013. Guess what, folks? We don’t live in a perfect world. We do live in a world that can get better, and that includes better for all the ladies. (Imagine that. We are part of the us.) (And guess what else? When life gets better for women, it usually gets better for men too! Because quality of life is not a zero-sum game.)

Something that frustrates me to no end is people who don't understand that I can support feminist issues in America ... and other issues. ("There are starving children in Africa! Women are still getting stoned in Afghanistan!) 

I know. And I believe that as a feminist who supports the legal, economic, and social equality of women, I care just as much about women in the U.S. who aren't getting paid fairly for their labor, and women in Romania who get substandard medical care.

There are a lot of causes that need help and a lot of them are interrelated. And we can care about and work for all of them! 

Think poverty and feminism. Internationally, I think it's pretty obvious the two are related. (Recommended reading: The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman: "... though climate, natural resources, and geography all play roles in why some countries are able to make the leap to industrialization and others are not, the key factor is actually a country's cultural endowments, particularly the degree to which it has internalized the values of hard work, thrift, honesty, patience, and tenacity, as well as the degree to which it is open to change, new technology, and equality for women.")

Domestically, it's also an issue. Single mothers are the demographic most likely to live in poverty. There goes that myth of the welfare queen/evil ex-wife living off child support. Turns out, that lifestyle is not terribly glamorous. Research on the feminization of poverty finds that 2/3 of those who live in poverty are women, despite only making up 1/2 the population. If you've read Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner, you may recall that one of the indicators of a child's academic success was the child's mother's level of education.

It's the circle of life, folks. We get better, or worse, together.



So if you're a feminist, wootie woot for you! 

And if you think you're not, maybe consider why you aren't. I suspect that if you asked yourself, "Do I support the legal, economic, and social equality of women?" the answer is probably, "Yes." (Guess what? You're a feminist.) If the follow up thought is, "But I don't like to 'label' myself, or associate myself with something that has so many negative connotations."

In which case I'd just ask you, should Christians just stop calling themselves Christians because they don't want to be associated with the Westboro Baptist Church?

G is for GENRE

I read in all genres. I have ideas in all genres. I tend to write romantic comedies, mystery, and horror – though I’ve realized that romantic comedies come most easily to me. 

As a currently unpublished, unagented writer, I can write whatever I want because no one has expectations of me. But I imagine that, if this little pipedream of mine ever works out, I may have to reign myself in, at least as far as publication goes.

What about you? Do you have particular genres you love? Any you hate? Any you pretend you know what they are, even though you sorta don't? (Cough, steampunk, cough.)

4 comments:

  1. I read what I call Genre fiction - mystery, fantasy, science fiction, romance. I dislike horror and literary fiction ... I'm on the fence with women's fiction. So, there's that. On steampunk. Think of steampunk like historical scifi. It TENDS to take place in the victorian era, but with advanced technology. The technology is USUALLY powered by steam and clockwork insides. So you'll get super advanced automatons (robots/androids) and awesome flying machines (blimps are exceedingly popular) but it still takes place in the past. so it's awesome. Try reading George Mann's The Affinity Bridge or Gail Carriger's Soulless series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It frustrates me when people take very good ideas and turn them into something that sounds negative. I know a lot of people are afraid to call themselves "feminists" for the very reason you mentioned, and it's silly.

    As for genres, I mostly write romantic comedies, too. But I read a lot of different genres. I think my favorite is probably a good thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write memoir. And I know that I write memoir. And I know that the book I just finished that I'm going to start shopping around is a memoir. But it just sounds so obnoxious. I need a new word for "stuff that happened to me but I wrote it with thought and didn't just type me journal." Unfortunately, there's already a word for that.

    Memoir.

    Ugh. How obnoxious. ;)

    But you can read a little of it if you like! http://thrlymdrnmommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's great, I'll check it out.

      Delete