Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Skiing, Ru Style

Recently I took a day off work to go skiing. And my, what an adventure it was.

First of all, if you want to know how to have a cute skiing adventure, where you end up at the lodge in boot socks and perfectly flat-iron-curled hair under your knit cap ... this is not the post for you. I mean, I wish I could help you out there, but this is how I roll.

Tip 1: Do as much as you can for free. Lift tickets are outrageously expensive, so skimp where you can.

You know how some girls have fitted ski pants, so even through all that layering you can tell who has a cute butt up on the mountain? I am not one of those girls. I wear a men's medium ski pant, mostly because it was free. (Direct Diego quote: Why are your pants so big? Did you not know you're a little person?) (It's true. I come from a family of medium- to small-sized people.)

And you know how some people head back to the lodge for tasty warm burgers and hot chocolate? Not me. Carrot sticks and cold sandwiches back in the car.

When I was little and my parents took us skiing, I always wished my parents would let us eat lodge food, but instead we always met up at the Bronco and drink hot chocolate from a thermos and eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Ten-year-old Ru really resented them for that.

As an adult, I realize that my parents were, in fact, CRUSHING IT. You only have to pay $10 for one terrible basket of dry chicken fingers before you realize your parents really knew what they were doing. (WELL DONE, PARENTS!)

Some of us know we can't earn any style points up on the mountain, so we don't even try. I seriously recommend this option, if you're trying to engage in one of our most expensive hobbies in the cheapest way possible.


Tip 2: Try not to go from a near sedentary lifestyle to skiing a full day.

Look, I know. I lie to my doctor just like you do and pretend that I exercise regularly, when in fact I hit the gym once a week (if I'm lucky) and count walking my dog (around the block...) as cardio. If it's sort of true, then it's not a lie.

But the mountain is not your doctor. You cannot stretch the truth with the mountain. The mountain will say, "Oh, you eat right, do you? How are your quads feeling? Not so good? That's what I thought."

Excuse me while I go soak in a tub. And by "tub," I mean "take a quick shower before I run out of hot water."
 

3 comments:

  1. I grew up in California and skied a few times each season, my parents had us do the same things, eat the lunch at the car and wear whatever we could scrounge up to keep us warm and dry. A few months ago we moved to Utah after moving all over for the last 20 years and never living in a state with real skiing. We are looking forward to hitting the slopes, just as soon as everyone has snow pants, a good coat and some boots (we'll have to rent the rest). By the way -LOVE the ad, thanks for making me aware of such GREAT clothing, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part about hot chocolate and sandwiches at the car is so true! I didn't understand that as a kid, but now I'm totally on board with how my parents rolled back then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! I am exactly the same way. I don't let the kids in the lodge. i didn't pay an arm and a leg for lift tickets for them to sit in a lodge, we could do that at home. I also where overly large clothes. I findiot easier to get up after I bite it. I always think to myself that when I am standing at the side of my car unpeeling the layers that people will look at me and think "Wow she's really tiny under all those clothes." Ha ha

    ReplyDelete