Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Friendsgiving

I don't often have cooking successes, but when I do, I like to share them.

Last night my friend Rodrigo held Friendsgiving at his house. For those that don't know, Friendsgiving is just a pre-game Thanksgiving for you and your friends, before everyone runs off to do the big shebang with their families.

Diego, Hannah, and I were assigned a sweet potato dish, among other things. I highly recommend it.

***

Curried Sweet Potatoes (adapted slightly* from THIS recipe)

3 large sweet potatoes or yams (I am not sure which we used, to be honest, since I have never been able to tell them apart.)
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium sized shallot, diced
1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup, half-and-half

Boil the sweet potatoes in water until you can stick a fork in them easily. Remove water, allow sweet potatoes to cool. Peel sweet potatoes. (Much easier to do after boiling.) Slice, place in bowl.

Brown the shallots in a pan with the butter until soft and translucent. Add the brown sugar, salt, spices, lemon juice, half-and-half. (If it smells kind of awesome at this point, well done.)

Pour shallot spice mixture over sweet potatoes, mash.


* A lot of my recipes are "adapted slightly," since I tend to forget ingredients and/or disagree with instructions. This has resulted in more than a few cooking mishaps, but at least when I give you recipes on the blog, I know they worked.

***

Do you have any traditional-but-slightly-weird recipes you'd like to share? Do tell, do tell!




2 comments:

  1. I co-hosted a Friendsgiving this past weekend that was a smash success - mostly because my friends are all amazing cooks. My boyfriend did all the cooking. I chopped onions for the stuffing. I'm going to pass along this curried sweet potato recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Designated onion chopper is a very important gig. I salute you, sir.

      Delete