Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for feminism

1. This is what feminism means:

Men and women deserve equal political, legal, economic, and social rights.

and

Women and men benefit from a reduction of societal inequality.

2. This is not what feminism means:

Women should be treated better than men.

or

Men and women are the same. (Equality does not mean "sameness." I know it's really hard to understand without a fourth grade grasp of vocabulary, but trust me on this one. If it's hard, pretend I said "white people and black people" or "old people and young people" or "Christian people and Jewish people" or "poor people and rich people" instead of "men and women" when I say that they deserve equal political, legal, economic, and social rights despite not being the "same." Not so hard to tell the difference then, is it?)

3. If you are still unclear about the meaning of feminism, please re-read points 1 and 2.

4. If you think you are not a feminist after reading points 1 and 2, please go away.

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post!!! I hate when women bash men and call it feminism. I hate when men bash women and call it justified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Feminist Majority T-shirt that displays the definition of Feminism and the definition of Feminist. My husband wears it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha
    I think more women are feminists than who admit it, but the word sadly has been sullied by losers who don't like to share. I'm reading Tina Fey's Bossypants and I didn't have any idea she'd shed so much light on how sexist the comedy circuit used to be. She's pretty awesome BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree that men and women deserve to be equal. I think that feminism has been hijacked by those women who just want to crush men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephsco and Annalisa: Then it should be hijacked back. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people claim, "I would be a [X], except I don't like what the [extremists of X] have done to [X]." If people give up on something that is ideologically sound because of extremists, then eventually all of society will be ruled by extremists.

    It is sad that the word has become sullied, but it will be more sad if we allow it to stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe! Great post. Men and women deserve to be equal. End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love this post. What a concept - let's treat people like people, without checking to see what's in their underpants first.

    Proud to be a feminist and your follower (even if I don't get over here as much as I'd like).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahahahaha somehow I get the feeling that this has been an object of great frustration for you. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. very true
    do check out my G at GAC a-z

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nobody deserves an upper hand on anyone else. Equity is love. The problem is, we have a great lack of the latter in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're awesome. The line about the 4th grade vocabulary slays me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it. I have a hard time understanding why people STILL don't get what feminism is. *sigh*

    Also doing the A-Z Challenge! http://trifleslifles.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete