Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

I loved The Shining. I must want to murder my future kids.

I saw an article today that tried to find some deeper meaning about the fact that Ann Romney (wife of Mitt Romney) had added Anna Karenina to her "favorite books" list on Pinterest.

Doesn't she know that Anna Karenina is about a wealthy woman who becomes dissatisfied with her privileged life, cheats on her political husband, and then meets a tragic end?

As a matter-of-fact, I suspect she does know that.

Don't you, dear writer, know that fictional works are fictional?

And that one can appreciate a piece of art without personally associating with it?

Or are you just absolutely terrible at satire?



(Just a question: when you think about the fact that you're a real journalist who now writes about the things a presidential candidate's wife pins online, do you die a little inside?)

6 comments:

  1. Ha! I just shake my head and ignore stuff like that. There's too much trash being passed off as journalism these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I'd think they'd have to question that "real" description in front of the journalist title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Stupid people. They bug me.

    It's a good thing she The Hunger Games. We'd all be in trouble then because surely she would find a way to institute a national event where the youth of America fight to the death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would hope she knows what it's about if she listed it as her favorite book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that. But I do love that book. I read it at a super depressed part of my life, and I totally identified with her character. That was when I got into therapy....

    ReplyDelete