Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Doggie Daycare: It's A Thing

Because I am a working machine these days, Spence was feeling a bit neglected. I pondered my options as far as hiring a dog walker (they weren't good) and then concluded that I would sign Spence up for two days of dog daycare a week for the next 6 weeks.

So far, it's been a mixed bag.

Spence really likes it.

He comes home really smelly.

Spence really likes it.

But my formerly silent little friend, who never barked and rarely growled, seems to have discovered his voice, thanks to the bad influence of the other doggies at daycare.

(Am I the only one who thought of this when I wrote, "discovered his voice"?  No?)

Puppy, please don't grow up to be a Real Housewife.
 But the final plus in the Pro Doggie Daycare Column:

Yes, Spence comes home hyper as balls for an hour, stinking to high heaven and barking like a gangbuster, but then he crashes for the rest of the night, snuggled up next to my side while I work some more at home. (And watch The Bachelor.)  And he doesn't wake up again until it's time for his bedtime pee break, at which point he shuffles out the door, efficiently pees*, and immediately heads back to his bed.

So we'll take it.






* Was "efficiently" an unnecessary adverb in that sentence? If you've ever had a dog, you know that it wasn't.  

5 comments:

  1. Ha! Hey, if Spence really likes it, the hyperness and smell can be handled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old male dogs pee really waywardly and in the end they kinda pretend to be girls so you adverb is fine by me. Love your style. You've got things to say in a kinda chick-lip way that's you! Don't lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose it's rather interesting that sending a darling pup to a doggie daycare nets about the same as sending a kiddo to daycare. For both, interacting with others brings about some kind of change. Some that are good...others, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a little Maltese once who was perfect - no barking, obeyed commands (I took him to obedience school), no "accidents," no begging. Heck, I remember eating a roast beef sandwich with him in my lap and he did nothing. Until he stayed with my grandma and her three dogs for three weeks. Commence erasure of all previously mentioned good traits. *sigh*
    Now, when I go out of town, I feel so guilty about leaving my kitty that I find someone to house sit.
    What I'm saying is - I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been taking Sparky to Lap Dog Lounge for a doggie day care. The best about Lap Dog Lounge is that they bathe him before he comes home. It did cause some stress in my co-dependent puppy though.

    ReplyDelete