Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"Stuck in Neutral"

As part of the Dark YA Blogfest, I am recommending all of you run out and get a copy of Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman.

Why? Charming main character, check. Terrifying conflict, check.

Shawn McDaniel suffers from a severe form of cerebral palsy.  He can't speak or control any of his muscles, but despite that, he has a fully functioning brain and is aware of the world around him.  He loves his siblings and parents, even though he can't hug them or let them know he understands them. He suffers from seizures that look terrifyingly painful, but to Shawn are actually kind of like being high. So even though his life is extremely limited, he enjoys it.

But when he's fourteen years old, Shawn begins to suspect that his father is thinking of mercy-killing him.

Go. Read it. You won't regret it..

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes I start reading books only to realize 75% percent of the way through I weirdly know what the ending is going to be. This happened to me halfway during your description.

    Anyway, I think I've read it before but forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of this one, I'll have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO GOOD. I LOVED this book. No, I don't usually write in all caps, but I HAVE to for this one. Totally awesome dark YA choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaaysus! That sounds dark. I'm not sure I could deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa.
    Awesome.
    SO going to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the best books I've ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I definitely have to read this. Good pick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. That sounds really good! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's on my wish list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. This book sounds awesome and exactly something I'd enjoy reading. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete