Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

SOUP!

I'm not much of a cook, so when things turn out right, I have to share.  If you're looking for some tasty, probably unhealthy, fairly easy to prepare sustenance in these chilly autumn months, let me recommend the following BEER CHEESE SOUP!  Mmmmmm.  I made it for the dad and bros and they loved it.

Well, my dad and I loved it.  The brothers grunted, which I interpreted as love.

(Now, if only I had some really arty pictures so someone would Pinterest the shenanigans out of my blog ...


Just kidding.)

I got this recipe online and then tweaked it a little (due to some previous mishaps with soup, and also some failure on my part to plan ahead for the correct ingredients).  Here's the altered version, since that's what I made, with instructions:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1 1/2 cups diced celery
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (And perhaps some more, depending on your preference -- I threw in some more Franks Red Hot at the end.)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • a dash of black pepper (In my book, a "dash" is three cranks on the pepper shaker.)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 bottle of beer (I used Diego's last Corona -- sorry Diego -- but I think any beer should do.)
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 4 cups milk
  • 6 heaping cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (WARNING: Do not buy pre-shredded cheese. Buy a block of cheese and grate it yourself. Pre-shedded cheese is usually coated with something so it won't clump together in the bag, which means getting it to melt into the soup is a nightmare.)
  • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together chopped carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Pour in chicken broth and beer, add  hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Simmer until vegetables are tender but still a little crunchy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
  2. Heat butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk for about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. (Mine never looked all that thick, but I think that's OK.) 
  3. Turn heat down to low and gradually stir in shredded cheese.  Stir until all the cheese is melted into the milk mixture.
  4. Stir veggie mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in spicy brown mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
  5. Serves 8. Buy some bread bowls if you feel all fancypants, which I did.

3 comments:

  1. my husband cooks everything with beer and/or other booze. and whenever the missionaries come over for dinner or i convince him to make something for some ward something or other, he feels bad about slipping the moes boozy flavors, even if all the alcohol cooks out. i'll point him to your blog/recipe to show him that it's okay. also, maybe to make this soup, because it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete