Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

So what book am I waiting on?

As the final installment of the Dark Young Adult Blogfest, we're supposed to write about what dark YA book we are most looking forward to.

Because of the book I read last night, this question is eas-ay to answer.

Eve by Anna Carey is the most interesting dystopian fiction I've read in awhile, so even though it only came out a few months ago, I'm already anxiously awaiting the sequel. 

In the twelve short years in which America became New America following an overwhelming plague, the society that we all know changed irrevocably -- and not because America now has a king.

Orphaned girls like Eve, Pip, Ruby, and Arden were born in a world just like ours and have vague memories of places like Oregon and Arizona, but they grew up in a School where they take classes like the Dangers of Men and Boys. They've been told that when they Graduate, they will go on to learn trades and then live in the mythical City of Sand, where they will have four-poster beds and sip lemonade under umbrellas. Unfortunately, the reality of what happens to girls after they graduate becomes readily apparent to Arden and Eve, and they escape into the wild.

The thing I loved most about this book was the overwhelming sense of horror Carey created without delving into melodrama.  The very near future setting made it even that more troubling -- Eve and her friends play with wrinkled Finding Nemo cards, listen to Vogue on cassette tapes, and are still assigned to read The Great Gatsby in School. After escaping, they hide in abandoned houses and look at the photographs of people just like us on refrigerators.

I would not especially recommend Eve to younger readers because of some disturbing content.  Despite raising orphaned girls to fear men and boys as manipulative rapists, New American society is more misogynistic than any band of marauders the girls might fear beyond the walls of School. That being said, Eve offers a hopeful view of humanity as well, as Eve and Arden encounter (gasp!) some men and boys that not only want to help and befriend them, but are in need of the girls' help and friendship as well.

Go.  Read it.  And then I won't be alone in looking forward to the sequel.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like an intriguing series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds really good. I'm going to have to read the first one - though I may wait until the sequel comes out first so I can read them all at one time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to read this book. I'm adding it to my TBR list on Goodreads. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ru,
    I will add this to my to-read pile. What other good dark YA books have you been reading? I just read THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES, which while not as creepy as the first book still made me turn on the light when my husband made a noise (note- he did not turn out to be an infected moving corpse, so yay for that).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys will love it!

    Megan - I'm reading THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES right now! I think that one brings the creepiness full-circle. :)

    ReplyDelete