Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Pins and needles

Things are rough in Ru Land these days.

1. Have I ever mentioned that my "busy season" is November through March?  No?  Well, it is.  I find myself increasingly overwhelmed with everything I have to do.  And that's all we have to say about that, given my office's strict social networking policies.

2. I'm roughly 10,000 words into my NaNo project.  In case you're wondering, that puts me roughly 15,000 words behind.  No, I'm not giving up yet.  I have every reason to believe that I am capable of writing a boatload this weekend, but I am dreading the thought because sometime last week, I started to hate everything. My plot.  My secondary characters.  Even poor little main character--and she hasn't done anything to me!

For further explanation, refer to point 1.

3. I'm waiting on some maybe-good, most-likely bad news.  And the waiting is putting me in a seriously bad mood.

4. When I'm in a bad mood, I don't really take it out on others.  Mostly I just start talking faster, ordering things on the Internet I can't afford (riding boots, you will soon be mine), and focusing on unrelated projects.  This week's unrelated project: THANKSGIVING! 

(Side note: How wacky is it when your parents get divorced, amiright? 

Don't worry, this isn't going to become the Adult Children of Divorce Chronicles.  Gah, "ACOD."  What a horrid acronym.)

So for obvious reasons, my dad no longer has things like serving dishes, cake platters, salad tongs, and tablecloths, so I've been ordering some online as well as picking out Thanksgiving Day recipes. That is actually really fun, does anyone have any recommendations?  Personally I never saw the point in a gravy boat, but I could be persuaded otherwise.  See above, re: ordering things on the Internet I can't afford.

5. I need some snow tires. Why didn't I buy any back in October, when snow flurries were not an oh-so-guaranteed part of my life? And when I wasn't saving up for a new computer?

Oh beautiful new iMac, our time together has once again been postponed.  I really need to be able to drive around New Denver this winter without creating mass chaos.  Maybe I will get you for my birthday instead of Christmas?

Also, why did I go to H&M this week when I need money in my iMac/snow tires/kitchen remodel fund?  Because in my anxiety I'm substituting financial stability for cozy sweaters, that's why.

PS, how weird is it that I have a healthy retirement fund, no credit card or student loan debt, and a house -- and yet I'm terrible at saving money for a rainy day fund?  Rainy days just happen so often, y'all. And when you look at it that way, THANK GOODNESS for the H&M sweaters, otherwise I'd be soaked and cold on top of broke.

6. On an up-note: The article I wrote last spring was finally published, hurray!  I'd link you to it, but (a) it's lawyerly and you'll most likely find it boring, and (b) it would lead right back to real me, which as previously mentioned is a problem for my future employment.

Anyone else want to share a piece of their own crazy?  Just remember, things get bad for all of us sometimes, but we should count our many blessings: at least we're not pregnant with vampire babies.

8 comments:

  1. Ugh. I read blogs and gossip instead of writing a long-overdue draft of my own article (which I tell myself I have to finish before I start studying for finals that will happen in just a couple of weeks). After doing nothing all day long, I will have a panic attack at roughly 11:30 p.m. about how I have been entirely unproductive and will fail out of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get the failure of the rainy day fund. It seems that I'm always one tiny step ahead of the next bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I want your boots and your sweaters, as well as your debt-free life. Gimme.

    Second, I'm pretty sure I'm waiting for the same unlikely news you are, and yeah. Hard. Good luck to us both!

    Third, sorry about the 'rents. Mine have had rocky periods, but never quite that bad.

    Fourth, strike #1. I'll keep my expensive kids instead. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will totally finish NaNo. Good luck!

    Hope the news is good!

    Sorry about your parental situation. But have fun picking out new stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, your last line made me chuckle! You can catch up with NaNo! And I love that your way of coping is to shop, that's totally me. Hang in there! Hope your news is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on being published!

    Hope everything else straightens itself out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took over the turkey at Thanksgiving two years ago after lobbying my mother for the honor for 6 years. This lobbying consisted of mainly pointing out how bad my mother's turkey is. She uses Butterball turkeys, and takes shortcuts that result in dry bland meat that makes great next sandwiches, but generally sucks on the day of thanks.

    I did my Cajun style with compound butter and Andouille Sausage stuffed under then skin, then cooked it on the rotisserie with a Bourbon-Molasses glaze. It was amazing.

    My mother still cooked her own turkey, because mine wouldn't make good gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments, folks :)

    Colt - that turkey sounds pretty much incredible. Well done, friendo.

    ReplyDelete