Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Um, so what's the deal with racism lately?"

That?  That's an actual line of dialogue from the Casa de Diego, Spence and Ru.

Unlike myself, Diego hasn't given up hope of finding a boyfriend via the wonderful world of online dating, and consequently, he finds himself on dates roughly 2-3 times a week.  Unfortunately, this has led to more hilarity than true love so far, but you know what they say: you have to kiss a lot of theater majors to find your Ryan Gosling.

The weird thing is, Diego has found himself on a shockingly high percentage of dates with racists.

Yeah.  You read that right.

Now, this isn't a case where Diego (a high falutin' liberal if there ever was one) is seeing racism where there is none.  When someone talks about hitting "n-words" with their car, there isn't too much room for debate.

The thing is, (and I can say this, having been in this situation) you'd like to think that if you were presented with overt racism, you'd puff out your chest and launch into a stern lecture.  But what actually happens is this:

Internal dialogue:

Did that really happen?


I think that happened.


Why did he say that?


Who cares? He said it.


But did he think he could say something like that in front of me?  Why?


Maybe I heard it wrong.


Definitely didn't hear it wrong.


Is he trying to be funny?


I think he was serious.


Should I just hope he was trying to be funny?


Would it matter?


A little.  Bad taste is preferable to straight up horribleness.


Maybe I'm hearing things.  Maybe he said,"Figures" like a white trash person.


If he did, that doesn't make any sense.


What do I say?  Oh man, too much time has passed. Say something!

External dialogue:

"Uh ... what did you just say?"



Awkward silence descends.

6 comments:

  1. I live in Portland, OR, and when I go back home to Arkansas, I am always FLOORED by the way people talk. I grew up there, so I should be used to it. I'm totally not. It even happens in my extended family sometimes. I usually give them a really dirty look. If it's someone I know really well, I will bring up the fact that they are being rude. But, I have had the internal dialgue before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sheepishly smiling*

    Yeah...what's the deal indeed. It's just one of those things that, like a chronic pain, just doesn't go away and sometimes makes itself even more known with sudden stabs to the back - ahem - sharp, shooting pains along the back. But, life must go on.

    Poor Diego...at least he's trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I think the external dialogue is quite a good way to deal with it. No row - but you make your point.

    Don't give up on internet dating. I found my Prince Charming that way. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd think all those deep questions they ask you to make your matches would weed out such people.

    Yup...I can't think of anything more awkward than a first date with someone who makes a racist comment. Time to fake sickness and walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave you an award on my blog today. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just yesterday, someone on the radio was saying that a new study has found that the growth of social media has led to a resurgence of racism. Or, at least, has made people feel comfortable enough to admit to their racist ways again.

    I don't understand it at all. I really thought we were growing up.

    ReplyDelete