Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

If wishes were fishes, I'd have tacos til Christmas

Every once in awhile, I just have to give into my natural inclination toward covetousness and greed.

The to-read (which probably means "to buy," since I still don't have a new library card) list:
If I Stay, Gayle Forman
Lola and the Boy Next Door, Stephanie Perkins
Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Laini Taylor
Shut Out, Kody Keplinger
Thirteen Reasons Why, Jay Asher
A Visit From the Goon Squad, Jennifer Egan
The Lonely Polygamist, Brady Udall


The to-buy list:
Do you think if I downloaded some case law, I could call it a tax deduction?
Either this, or stop walking around my house in a towel, and I'm not going to stop doing that.

I have to go to the opera next month.  That's a good enough excuse to buy an (inappropriately) expensive dress, right?  Sigh, I know it's not.

Not to be worn with the aforementioned dress, however.  I'm not that cray-cray.  Just "cray," really.  I have to express my inner sass somehow when I'm at work.
The fact that I'm not married doesn't really depress me, except when I think about how it's likely that I'll never be able to beg for Williams-Sonoma cookware in a socially sanctioned setting (e.g., the gift registry).  That, dying alone, and having no one to kill spiders for me.  Thank goodness Diego moved in.  He even got that one big spider the size of a silver dollar that I allowed to continue living in the basement for months.  According to Ru, "Peace at any price."  According to Diego, "You have awakened a sleeping dragon, Big Daddy Spider."  There are a lot of WWII analogies at our house.
So what's on your "gimme gimme I want it now (but realistically I'll just keep checking it out online)" list?

13 comments:

  1. My wife married someone who refuses to kill spiders. I catch them in a bug vacuum and release them to the wild. This should ease that worry knowing that even marriage doesn't indicate a guarantee on arachnocide.

    Right now I really want a large number of items from the Brooks Brother's Town and Campus collection, a larger TV and new bike. Also, sugar wafers, but that is just a craving that will satisfied soon,.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I marry a non-spider-killer, I'll just insist on having Diego as a perma-roomie. He's also very helpful with dishes and legal analysis. I can't imagine any husband would object.

    I want a bike too! But since I didn't get one at the beginning of the summer, I figure I'll wait until spring. Only a few more months of bikeable weather, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These shoes.

    http://www.amazon.com/Pour-Victoire-Womens-Haya-Purple/dp/B00429OK7E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3BOJP4HH1L4JN&colid=2IWI2SU8VQX26

    And about $1000 of Le Creuset cookware. I'm married and have never yet considered begging. Good to know that it's socially sanctioned, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, those are nice shoes. I concur.

    It's too bad you're already married - ever consider getting divorced and remarried so you can re-register? I'm not sure how you'd be able to pull that off, though. Maybe lie and say you all destroyed your cookware in the heat of the divorce, so now you need your friends and relatives to shell out for more in the wake of your happy reconciliation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh - I didn't mean beg your hubster. I mean, if I wanted to spend my (our) own money now, I'd just go out and buy it. The goal is to have someone else buy me sweet, sweet cookware. Have edited post to reflect intent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on the kindle fire and those pans are gorgeous! And don't stress out over a registry too much, no one buys anything off of there anyway (at least in my experience)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so don't need another ereader, but oh, the want! *le sigh*
    And, yes, yes, yes on all the other things! (I wanted that cookware in cobalt blue!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it bad that I'm just really excited the original Kindle is becoming so cheap? I'm finally going to buy one :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a whole list of "someday" items, including, but sadly not limited to, the following:

    Dress form
    Curtains
    Pole and aerial silks (yes, like a stripper pole)
    Picnic table
    A whole list of dresses that are saved on my pinterest for ogling
    Hardwood floors on the whole first floor
    New jewelry
    New artwork
    Money to paint/decorate my house so it doesn't look as thrown together as it is

    ReplyDelete
  10. A 100% lack of Le Creuset cookware is pretty much the #1 regret I have about not registering when I got married. Also when I discovered that my married friends have MULTIPLE sets of dishes that they got. Obviously my whole "practicality for the sake of moving" idea was not as excellent as it could be. Who knew you could get such good presents?!
    Of course, It was really nice having such a small Uhaul trailer..

    My list:
    vacuum
    a variety of not-for-work clothes and shoes (work clothes=boring, because I'm a cashier)
    vehicle w/ mad winter skills because I'm stressed out at the idea of facing five more winters in just another car.

    But mostly a vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, the gift registry! Makes more sense now. I thought you meant that it was socially sanctioned to have a creepy marriage where the only way you can buy stuff is to publicly pout about it in sur la table or something.

    Registries aren't all they are cracked up to be. When I did get married, people mostly ignored it and regifted us ugly ceramic Santa cookie jars (it was December, they had probably collected too many white elephant gifts).

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a pretty great list and I can totally relate to the not-being-able-to-ask-for-the-good-stuff thing.

    On my list right now is a Nook Color and a Nikon D3000. Those are going to stay on my list for a very, VERY long time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally:
    http://bit.ly/w2NxJS
    And http://bit.ly/rVnAdT
    Do Twitter links work on here?

    ReplyDelete