Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

a hodgepodge of information

1. Hobo With A Shotgun is just as awesome (if not even more awesome) than I had previously suspected.  However, if you're feeling at all emotionally imbalanced, save it for another time. 

I think all those exploding body parts would not have been quite so hilarious, or the injustice of the hobo not being able to buy his beloved lawn mower quite so tragic, but for my sleep-deprived and moody state.

2. Remember ye olde writing conference I attended last weekend?  Well, I got two pretty solid pieces of advice.  I am working on implementing the first one now, and will update you all upon completion. (Assuming there's anyone out there in BlogLand who is interested, and I suspect most of you come here for the cute puppy pics.  Which is fine, that's why I come here, too.)

3. I know everyone laments the state of math and science education in our schools, but could we get a shout-out for civics and English while we're at it?  If I see one more person woefully misstate basic principles of governance that I had mastered in the FIFTH GRADE, I'm going to make like a hobo and eff this place up.  (Not really.) 

If oh-so-many people are oh-so-very passionate about politics these days, I'd just really appreciate it if they would give the following a skimmaroo before spouting off any opinions.

Three branches of government, people.  Three.

Also, commas, people.  Commas.

4. Somewhat related to number 3 ... have you ever noticed that when someone begins a sentence with, "Liberals ..." or "Conservatives ...", whatever comes next is almost certainly going to be really stupid?

And now I leave you with a fun postcard.

7 comments:

  1. I like the hodge podge of information. And the postcard. Thanks, Ru! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That was hilarious. I actually was watching a Swedish film called Trollhunter last night and they had a preview for Hobo With A Shotgun. Now with your recommendation, I really want to see it! You can't lose with Rutger Hauer.

    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liberals...they think they're so cool, wanting to recycle their cereal boxes.

    Wait a second. I sound like I'm bashing on my husband and me. That didn't work.

    I like referring to myself as a liberal just like I like referring to myself as a feminist because people like to make those such negative terms. And I reallly like that feminazi picture. It's perfect.

    Also, um, that Social Studies Book? It's kind of crazy looking with all that orange business...it really stands out, so I couldn't not mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a cotton-pickin' minute...you mean to tell me that the person we elect once every four years just can't go in that big old white house and do whatever he wants, when he wants, how he wants, even if it's a good idea that helps lots of people or a half-cocked idea with potential? They still have to work with a bunch of other people to make things happen? But, but, what if none of them get along....what about the rest of the folks? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen posters at independent theaters for Hobo With a Shotgun. Was it really good? It looked like a video game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watch Hobo with a Shotgun and Machete back to back. You'll fulfill your need to participate in social justice movements and pretty kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. McKenzie - "good" is a subjective term ... not sure I would call it "good." But it was entertaining.

    ReplyDelete