Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Love songs

So as I was watching The Bachelorette finale the other day, I was feeling annoyed with our intrepid gal Ash.

We were supposed to be sympathetic because Bentley treated you so badly, right? Right.

And yet you let Ben get through his entire proposal before dumping him?

How bad is her self-esteem that she's like, "You know, I'm not going to marry him, but I kind of want to see where this is going."

Anywho, I was feeling annoyed, but then REO Speedwagon came on.

Everyone knows that heals all wounds.

I have a penchant for cheese.  Let me rephrase.  I swoon over ridiculous, over-the-top ballads sung by 80s bands. I even felt a little faint watching "Captain Jack Sparrow."



I always kind of wanted to engaged to Asia's "Heat of the Moment."  Or Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight."  Or Survivor's "I Can't Hold Back."  (I'm a believer in options.)

If I ever have or adopt a kid, I want to welcome them home with Scorpion's "Rock You Like a Hurricane."  When I die, I want Journey's "Wheel in the Sky" played at my funeral.

Don't act like it's weird, I know other people plan big moments around bitchin* songs too. My friend Lulu once said her ideal wedding would be arriving at the church in a helicopter while "Highway to the Dangerzone" played for her guests.

The fact is, some bands get it right.

What are your personal power ballads?





* "Bitchin," as a word, was basically invented to describe songs like "Take Me Home Tonight."  Just so you know.

11 comments:

  1. First off, yet another sign we were meant to be internet buddies. Second you should "Fargo Rock City" by Chuck Klosterman. Third, being white and geeky I have secret love of hard core rap. I listen to Busta Rhymes 'Break yer Neck' and Ice Cube's "Wrong N**** to F*** Wit' (I should probably note that the use of the 'N-word' also makes me incredibly uncomfortable in my Caucasian-liberal skin) in my headphones at work to psyched out for meetings. I really want it played when ever I walk into a meeting where smack shall be laid down.

    As far as power ballads go GnR's 'Nighttrain" is something I want played at my funeral along with The Ramones "Too Tough to Die" and Flogging Molly's "If I ever Leave this World Alive" (which is not a power ballad, but I am pretty sure it will bring everyone to tears).

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Majid (or, as I more correctly suspect, Spambotajid):

    If you want help with your college tuition, GET A DAMN JOB like the rest of us did. No, I will not click on your blog just because you spammed mine. Get a life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Colt:

    Oh jeez, your song selections are amazeballs. Well done sir, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your song choices. My personal favorites include everything by Queen, but particularly I want "Don't Stop Me Now" played at my funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl! It's Andrea from DoublClik! My sister, Patty, loves your blog! Thanks so much for stopping by mine, be sure to follow for another entry in the makeover giveaway. stop by anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely passel of power ballads you got there. Back when I was preparing to give birth, I asked my husband to play Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood when the anesthesiologist came into the room. He refused. Dude messed with my birthing plan. I've managed to turn my eleven year old son into a huge Journey fan, though, so I count that as a win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Di - That is genius!

    DoublClik - just followed, thanks :)

    Delia - oh my gosh, that would have been EPIC. And I say that knowing that "epic" is grossly overused these days. You should find some pregnant lady who will let you do it for her birth plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha ha! I LOVED that episode of SNL! And I love Captain Jack too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chantele - I feel like the digital shorts never go wrong. Well done, SNL, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I don't know how I missed that SNL short, but that was freaking hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen - I'm so glad I could bring it into your life. :)

    ReplyDelete