Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Favorite summer read


Cherie Reich is hosting a blogfest (I know! When did that become a word, right?)  (Sidenote: So! Many! Blogfests! I need a break.)

I am a big re-reader.  Ever since I graduated from The Babysitters' Club, which realistically probably began my journey of re-readership,* I have tended to re-read my favorite books over and over again.  This is probably why every summer I read The Stand, Fight Club, Pride and Prejudice, and at least one Harry Potter.

But I don't only re-read.  This summer my Kindle and I have become quite close ... you could say we've taken it to the next level, in fact.  So for anyone out there looking for a few more books to tear through before the summer is over, I'd recommend the following:

1. A Game of Thrones (George RR Martin)
2. A Clash of Kings (George RR Martin)
3. A Storm of Swords (George RR Martin)
4. A Feast for Crows (George RR Martin)
5. Supernaturally (Kiersten White)
6. The Fifth Witness (Michael Connelly)
7. Full Dark, No Stars (Stephen King)
8. John Adams (David McCullough)

(Yes, I read more than this. These are just the ones I'm telling other people to read.  I'll be honest - I chose a few strike-outs this summer.)

And on my To Be Read While On Vacation Next Week list:


Any others I should put on there?  Don't be deterred at the 1,040 historical fantasy novel in the third spot, I'm a reading machine and I need suggestions!





* While I never technically "re-read" a BSC book, anyone who was ever a nine-year-old girl knows that once you've read one of Kristy's, Claudia's, Stacey's, Mary Anne's, Dawn's, Mallory's, Jessi's, Logan's, Shannon's, or Abby's (yes, those were all members of the Club at one point of another) adventures, you've read them all.  Anyone remember the format of Chapter 2?  Because it's burned into my brain.

Random fact about me? I pronounced Janine "Ja-9" for probably two years before anyone corrected me.  In my mind, the older Kishi sister is straight up gangsta. 




12 comments:

  1. I'm currently working my way through the first, and have been all summer, feels like! Don't get me wrong, I love it a LOT, but for some reason my usual quickquick reading speed has slowed wayyyyy down for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna and the French Kiss is awesome, and I really liked Life as We Knew It.

    Other great summer reads (from teen/fantasy, since I don't know the other genres you like):

    Teen
    Twenty Boy Summer (misleading/cheesy title, but it is amazing)
    The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (pure awesome)
    The Key to the Golden Firebird (fun, but a lot realism/depth)
    Two-Way Street (pure fun)

    Fantasy
    The Name of the Wind (crazy awesome fantasy and another behemoth)
    Fire by Kristin Cashore

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, now you've mentioned reading The Babysitter Club books and given me a mad desire to declare you my soul mate and invite you over for a sleepover so I can show you my secret junkfood stash.

    This is what childhood books do to otherwise reasonable people. It must be stopped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to read Johnny Tremain around the fourth of July. I also suggest reading David McCullough's Brave Companions; it's a shorter book but my favorite of his.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see another Martin fan! He's one of my idols. Have you read the first Kushiel trilogy by Jacqueline Carey? Another thick, dark, amazing series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Anna and the French Kiss. Kept me up late two nights in a row when I really needed to be awake the next day. :)

    Have you read Brandon Sanderson yet? Elantris, the Mistborn Trilogy, and Way of Kings are amazing--and a new Mistborn book is coming out later this year. Also, Dan Wells has a freaky-awesome book about a teenage sociopath: I Am Not A Serial Killer.

    I have tons more suggestions, depending on your tastes at the moment--call me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, fellow campaigner! *Waves*

    I'm almost done with Supernaturally right now, and Anna and the French Kiss has been my favorite book this year. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Supernaturally, but not the other books on your list. I enjoyed Touching Blue by Cynthia Lord and Chime by Franny Billingsley.

    If you want, visit my "Substitute Teacher's Saga" blog to see my blogfest entry. Different book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for all the recomends!
    i will jot them down, i need something new and different!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Ru! I used to love the BSC. Claudia and Mallory were my favorites!

    I'm a big re-reader, too. I don't understand how some people can read an amazing book only once!

    I have George R.R. Martin's books on my to-read list. I've heard such great things and can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I have read any of these. Most of them sound like fantasy novels will check them out in the local library. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many awesome books! More for my to-be-read pile.

    ReplyDelete