Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

No Google+! Bad Google+!*

So you all have heard about Google+, right?

It's this new social media site that is supposedly Facebook's younger, hotter sister.  (According to Charlie.)

I've spent the last few days fiddling with it, and during that time, I've done a lot of reminiscing about that heady spring 2005 day (or 2004?  I'm getting old...) when a sorority sister showed me this thing called "The Facebook." 

It took me all of 5 minutes to master.

And yet here I sit, typing a blog post because I can't figure out how to "share what's new" (Google+'s version of Facebook's, "What's on your mind?").  Either this site is ridiculously hard to use despite its pointlessness, or I have crossed that invisible barrier beyond which all technology becomes incomprehensible, like my dad hanging up a cell phone call by putting the phone down.

Am I missing something, friends?  After all, I didn't jump on the Twitter train, and that actually turned out to be a thing, so I wouldn't especially take my word for it if I were you.





* Yeah, everything comes out in puppy-speak now.  When the guy at the drive-thru gets my order right, I have to fight the urge to say, "Good boy!  Who's a good boy?  You're a good boy!"

9 comments:

  1. Lol! You're not alone! I think I accidently plus 1'd someone a while ago when I was tinkering around with it. Let me know if you ever get it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, there's a new social networking site? This is the first I'm even hearing about it,so no, you're not alone. To go along with your puppy speak: I'm an old dog, and I DON'T WANT to learn any new tricks. I just can't keep up these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Friend me! I have circles just for you! :)

    Have you tried clicking the report a problem tab in the bottom right of the screen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got on today and set up my account and profile. I added some writers I know from my email to circles. Didn't post. Actually, this seems like nothing new. I don't see what it has to offer that isn't already there on FB, Twitter and blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't tried it. Just got twitter and am tinkering with that. There's just too much to keep up with. I think I'll ride the waves on this one and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Younger/hotter sisters never work out- Jamie Lynn Spears, for example, didn't work out. Neither did that mini Lindsey Lohan, obviously, since I don't even remember her name.

    I've already got facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram, and a blog. I don't have time for any other social network/media sharing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i tries Google* but it won't let me do anything keeps telling they have hit their limit totally sucks

    Everyday Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't get it either. I think the people who love it are also responsible for the popularity of stuff like the Real Housewives shows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many people abandoning G+. If you are leaving, don't forget to delete your Google+ account as well. Don't let it linger there for some one to hack it and use it for spam later on...

    ReplyDelete