Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Some people learn Italian in their free time

But I over-analyze movies and TV.

Is it possible to jump a gap of freeway in a speeding bus?  And even if it is, why did none of the screenwriters of Speed say, "Hey, I know we have to keep raising the stakes of this movie, but maybe we should come up with something different for the subway scene?"

(FYI, despite a few gaps in logic, Speed was totally my favorite movie in fifth grade.)

And regarding The Vampire Diaries -- something just occurred to me about the penultimate episode of season two. 

(Yes, I'm totally going to discuss the ending of season 2.  Don't go further if you don't want its badassery ruined.)

There were two Klaus Killing Options. Plan A, Bonnie kills Klaus and hopes that using all that witchiness doesn't kill her.  (Risky for Bonnie.)  Plan B, Elena allows Klaus to sacrifice her and two other individuals, and Elijah and Bonnie take out Klaus post-ritual when he is in a more weakened state.  (Less risky for Bonnie.  Will almost certainly kill Elena or turn her into a vampire.  Will definitely kill two other people.) 

So why does Elena want to choose Door Number 2, again?  Yes, she's super self-sacrificing and would risk dying for her friend -- but did she just forget the part that the sacrifice also involves the guaranteed murder of another vampire and werewolf?  And that the original plan was for the vampire and werewolf to be her childhood friends, Caroline and Tyler?  And even after it seemed like Caroline was sorta-safe because Klaus had kidnapped Katherine (whom no one but the viewing audience likes), Tyler was still on the chopping block, since he was one of only TWO known werewolves in this show?  And ultimately even when Caroline and Tyler were rescued, other relatively innocent people (Jenna and Jules) ate it so Elena could save Bonnie?

Ok, I can see why it's easier to say, "Hey, I choose death-death to two currently-unnamed individuals over almost-certain-death to my best friend" in the abstract -- you don't really know who is going to be toast, whereas you hang out with your best friend all the time. Yes, it is super sad (and ironic, in the Alanis Morissette sense) that one of those people turned out to be her aunt -- but can she really be surprised that it was someone

But this is what I really don't get.  Why didn't Damon--the number one proponent of Plan A--ever point out to Elena that her Save Bonnie! At! All! Costs! plan would certainly involve the deaths of at least two other people?

It seems like that's something he should have tried arguing before he force-fed her vampire blood. 

Just sayin.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know why they did the same exact thing with the bus and the subway, but, honestly, I think it was the rare occasion where it actually worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally do the same thing with books and movies. It bugs my husband sometimes and almost always gets me his psychological theory that I learned to live in book land instead of the real world because my parents didn't teach me life skills.

    Maybe it's just something we picked up from listening to <4th grade teacher's name> read "The Dark is Rising"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH, The Dark is Rising! I'd forgotten about that book!

    :) Nice to see you in blogland, friend.

    ReplyDelete