Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The job sitch-a-ation

First of all, I'm still going to be a lawyer.  I just got an opportunity to practice a different kind of law and learn a different set of skills.  That's not to say it was an easy decision.  To be super eloquent, it sucked hardcore trying to decide between the two jobs, but I ultimately think the new position will make me more marketable and will allow me to have a more well-rounded (the professional euphemism for "happy") life. 

Everyone who listened to my near-constant wishy-washying, muchas gracias.  

Regarding how this will impact my blog (duh, that's what's really important) is that I will talk even less about the new job than I did about the old one.  This is not too bueno since I got a decent amount of material out of my lawyerin adventures.  Guess I'll just have to work on being interesting in other areas of life. 

The minor plus side is that I will probably get around to telling my Big Law horror stories.  (Yes, my current job is mostly great, but it's still a law firm.  Of course some bad-- and more importantly, funny -- shit went down.) 

4 comments:

  1. Whatever works for you - works for me. Heck - recap the "Bachelor" once a week and I'll be good.

    [See? I am not as needy as you thought. ;D]

    ReplyDelete
  2. blurg. I wish I knew bloggers in real life - then I could ask you about all your job stories. I need someone to either talk me out of or talk me into actually being a lawyer when I graduate law school. As someone who expects to be living in a state of near constant wishy-washing for the next 2.5 years, I sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew and Becca (sorry, don't know which one wrote that) - feel free to email me. I'm not sure how helpful I will be, other than to say for the most part, being a lawyer has made me happy.

    As far as generic advice goes: The hardest part of law school is getting a realistic glimpse of what actual practice will be like, so do as many clinics/externships/etc. as you can. And sign up for OCIs, even if you're not sure you want to work for a firm. There's no way to understand what firm life will be like for you until you actually work at one, and OCIs (and the occassional school year law clerk opportunity) are the only way to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Sorry, I realized I badly skimmed your blog - I thought Becca was the law student and then I read "Andrew's adventures in law school" without finishing the post. My b.

    Hey Becca, welcome to law world!)

    ReplyDelete