Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Be a grown up

There's this new thing I'm trying lately - whenever I have a thought, I ask myself, "What would a grown-up in this situation do?"

Like today, I didn't want to call a client.  Why?  I thought he might be grumpy.

Self: Does a grown-up avoid calling someone just because he might be grumpy?

Self:  Sigh.  No.

Self: I think we know what we need to do here.

Self:  Sigh.  Yeah.

And so we called the client.

Really, it's done wonders for me so far.

(Aside from the fact that I now internally refer to myself as "we.")

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if you can do it - and it shouldn't be your job - but sometimes a cheery attitude and a lot of {fake} platitudes will get them moving towards not being so grumpy.

    Trust me - I have never been a lawyer - but waitressing during my college years taught me a hell of a lot about turning a sourpuss into a dream.

    It isn't an adult reaction, just an acting job. Even kids can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to do the same thing, but I have different voices I ask for different things. Joey Ramone, Don Draper, Anthony Bourdaine, etc...Pretty sure I may be on the slow road to schizophrenia.

    ReplyDelete