Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Don't buy all the hotdogs, Liz

Like most people, I hate unfairness.

Today I found out that my rent will be increasing a minimum of $60 a month (with a new 12 month lease) or $95 a month (with a new six month lease).  This is justified by the fact that my apartment "should" (in someone's mind) be rented for $1100 a month, so I am still getting a discount.  

The thing is, there is no way there is enough demand for apartments in my building to justify $1100 a month.  There's barely enough to justify what I currently pay, which I know is probably too much, but I love living within walking distance of my firm.  My building isn't full, and it seems like everywhere I go there are "For Rent" signs.  

This rent increase is predicated on one thing, and one thing only: people hate moving.  

For example, I finally have everything in my apartment exactly the way I like it.  My TV, my books, my desk, my bed, my couches, my decorations.  It took me ten damn months to get this place in order.  Plus, if I move, I will also probably have to hire movers* over Christmas, since my lease ends at the beginning of January. 

But I really ... really ... hate the idea of paying more rent on an already-overpriced apartment.   

So, I figure I could cancel my cable and continue living here.

Or move on principle, to an apartment that will almost certainly be cheaper.  

Or, out of spite, buy a condo and stop throwing rent away.  (Spoiler alert: I do not want the responsibility of home ownership, and am not entirely convinced that real estate is a good investment.  This scenario is therefore extremely unlikely.)

Any thoughts you all have on this matter will be appreciated.  I have until the end of the week (classy, apartment managers) to decide.    




* My dad suggested, once again, that I call the Elders' Quorum President and ask for church help if I decide to move.  Unfortunately, since I haven't been assigned a home teacher in going on eleven months, that seems like a dead end even before I begin.

7 comments:

  1. people are bitches.

    i'd cut and run, just because i can't live without cable. i know my limits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would move. But that's just me. Maybe you'll not only end up with lower rent but in a better ward? From your posts, it hasn't sounded so stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has happened to me too - and I could never figure it out. One apt I lived in with my hubs there were 12 apts on our side. 1 was rented, by us. We paid on time, every month and they still wanted to raise it - when the building was empty. [Sorry I basically just repeated what you said - but it is so frustrating!] So.....

    We moved. I was 8 months pregnant.

    On principle I would move.

    If you can try and find a private landlord - sometimes they won't raise the rent after a year and if they do you can always negotiate with them. We have lived in our townhouse for 4 years and our landlords are so awesome they haven't raised it once [because they love us...lol] With all the issues of apt. living I hope to never have to do it again.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you talk to a manager? I'd do that, and be super nice and just say, "I like it here and am an awesome tenant. I will stay and happily pay ___ per month. Can you do that? If not, I'm out. I wanted to give you the option since I know reliable, clean, quiet, awesome, gainfully employed tenants like me are pretty valuable. I'd rather not move but I'll have to if you increase the rent. What options do you have for me?" or better yet, "What would you do in my situation?"

    I am learning lately that people bank on the fact that you'll be too scared to talk to them and just pay what they tell you to. Once you talk to them you can usually work something out.

    BUT if you move, hit up the EQ for sure. No home teachers just means they'll feel guilty and like they DEFINITELY need to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should move out of principle. . .If they won't let you keep the same rent amount. I know moving sucks, but so does knowing you're throwing away money. They're just trying to back you into a corner, hoping they'll win. I like the idea of trying to talk to someone in charge first, but stand your ground if they try to bully you. Start looking on Craigslist for condos or townhomes to rent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it wrong that I read this and all I can think of is "The Rent is Too Damn High Party"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I TOTALLY thought of the Rent is Too Damn High after I wrote this! Ahhhh, wasted opportunities ...

    ReplyDelete