Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

PIRANHA!

I loved the movie Piranha when I was a kid.

The close-ups of the chompy little muppetized fish.

The camp counselor dragged down into the depths of the lake.  Tragically, her life preserver was not that helpful.

The lone loser in the canoe, rising to the occasion and saving other campers.

And the fact that everyone in the movie--and I do mean everyone--apparently already knew that "piranha" is plural for "piranha." 

"Sir, piranha have infested the lake!"

"Piranha, you say?  How many?"

"At least ten thousand piranha, sir!"

Not one single character ever says "piranhas," but I imagine if they did, someone else would say, "Oh, didn't you know?  Piranha is plural for piranha.  Like moose."  At which point a grateful audience says, "Ahhhh, I got it."  

I'm very excited for the new 3D movie, in case you can't tell.

3 comments:

  1. i know my comments of showering you of how funny you are are getting lame and boring, but seriously - best entry yet. i've been sort of pimping out your blog. i say, "hey you want a good time? Check out my cuz's blog." I'll expect no kissing and 10% of your fee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, if you go back to the original Indian word and Portuguese adoption of it, "Piranhas" (Pee-rahn-yas) is the pluralization. Yes, that's right, you need the 's.'

    For the record, they're creepy looking and not very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate: Aw shucks. Compliments never get boring, haha. Sometimes I worry that may comments on your blog get boring, so let's both just agree to keep commenting. :)

    Eric: I hope the new movie acknowledges this grammatical conundrum. Add to the dialogue above --

    Actually sir, in Portuguese, it is Piranhas.

    Why, I never!

    And from that point forward, the characters could say either "piranha" or "piranhas" depending on their preference, and the audience is not left to wonder any longer why the children are screaming, "Piranha, piranha!" :)

    ReplyDelete