Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Easy hours

I've been doing doc review for awhile now.

Every day.

For hours.

For months.

It's endless.

And often, when the subject of doc review is mentioned to coworkers or fellow lawyers, someone inevitably chuckles and says, "Well, it's easy hours, right?"

No, actually, it's not.  It's mind numbingly awful.  But whatever.  Lots of people have crappy jobs.

The problem is, I didn't decide to become a lawyer so I could bill "easy hours."  I became a lawyer to, I don't know, do legal-ly things.  Everyone has to pay their dues, and I figured mine would involve really boring research projects.  But no, it's not even that interesting.  Ninety-five percent of my job might as well come down to being able to tell blue from green. 

Gratitude is a funny thing.  I'm grateful I have a job when so many of my classmates still do not.  I'm grateful to have a job when so many people across the country do not.  I'm grateful for medical benefits.  I'm grateful that I will be allowed to assist (ie, do bitch work) for a trial in a few months.  I'm grateful that I'm no longer mooching off my parents.  I'm not so ungrateful that I'm willing to give any of those things up just yet.  

The thing is, I would be happy to be making $10 an hour again if I was actually gaining any practical skills whatsoever.

I'm starting to feel like an antagonist in an Ayn Rand novel.* 

A poorly written, misogynistic, pseudo-intellectual Ayn Rand novel.

Where I'm the bland, corporate whore bad-guy.**

It doesn't get much lower than that.






* Kind of a side note, but have you ever noticed that people who like Ayn Rand always think that they relate to the objectivist heroes, but really are just as sheep-like as the rest of us, only they lack adequate self-reflection skills?  I think about that more than I should.


** Not to belabor the point, but the good guys in Ayn Rand novels rape people.  So to be the bad guy, you know it's got to be pretty awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment