Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In which I reveal myself to be a cold, heartless bitch

Look kids, I love Glee.  Think it's the cat's pajamas.

And I'm all about "love yourself/yay self-esteem" messages. 

But last night's episode was crap.  Not just the too-long songs, not just the incredibly slow pace.  Not even the I've-got-to-hide-my-face-behind-my-laptop-I'm-so-uncomfortable-for-Kurt-right-now serenade to Finn. 

Look -- teenage girls doing the Master Cleanse?  Bad. 

Anorexia?  Bad. 

Telling an obviously overweight teenage girl she needs to lose ten pounds? 

Not out of line.  (Though a week deadline is amusingly ridiculous, and the fact that Mercedes ended up gaining two pounds after following the cheerleaders' "starve yourself" advice was totally accurate, which I appreciated.) 

But kids.

Why do we have this myth that there's a fine line between eating disorders and self-esteem?  There isn't.  There is a big, big, big line.  Mercedes shouldn't have been starving herself, but she should have been following her own advice from the lunchroom -- chicken breast and a side salad is healthy.  Yes, I'm glad you love yourself and all, though I would have appreciated you not singing "Beautiful" to do it (hate, hate, hate that song), but don't you realize there's something equally unacceptable about telling someone who IS overweight, "Don't worry about it, as long as you love yourself, that's all that counts"?? 

It is what's on the inside the counts, but you have to take care of the package while you're at it.  Quinn's advice in the nurse's office was clearly the best--when you realize that food is supposed to take care of you, you start having a better relationship with it.  Yet the whole "take care of yourself and be healthy" message was completely obliterated by "don't let anyone else tell you there's something wrong with you, because self-esteem is more important than adult-onset diabetes."

6 comments:

  1. I am Alex and I approve of this ad.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I would never, ever call someone fat. I think it just sends a mixed message that an overweight character was first discouraged from eating healthier in favor of starving herself, and then encouraged to just go back to her previous behavior instead of starving herself, as if the middle option of eating healthier was a ridiculous suggestion.

    And, to continue over-analyzing this show, when Mercedes was starving herself and starting picturing her classmates as food, none of them appeared as healthy options -- just another chubby girl fantastizing about ice cream cones, pie and cupcakes.

    We all love pie, but eating right is not about denying yourself any pie or eating all the pies, Glee. Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Also, I started a new diet on Sunday and it's making me grumpy. In case you couldn't tell. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was totally slow. Though I think Finn's mom and her now boyfriend are adorable. Did you ever watch Pushing Daisies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sigh. eating disorder episodes are always such a wash. either they give the issue quickie 1.5 hour solutions, or, as in glee, decide that there are only two options-starve or binge.

    THAT IS CALLED A FALSE DICHOTOMY.

    and last night's episode of glee is what i will use as an example next time i teach that concept.

    ReplyDelete