Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Why, facebook? Why?

Is it just me, or has facebook become less fun?

I remember joining in the heady days of 2004 - yes, SIX years ago - back when it was merely a "wall" and a picture.  Back then, only college kids were allowed to join, and you were probably only able to see the pictures/walls of other students attending the Blessed U.  It was a fun distraction.

Now, I know a lot has been said in recent years of privacy policies, and unnecessary layout changes, and stupid gimmicks (Farmville, anyone?)  I remember feeling slightly ill the first time I saw someone's thirteen-year-old sister on facebook.  Worse when I saw a mom with her own "cool" profile.*

But all of those were nothing in comparison to the professionalization of facebook.

No, I do not want to be a fan of my job.  My job is my job, facebook is the thing I use to distract from my job.  I also do not want to join any networking sites.  I don't want to be a fan of your band, or your business.  I don't want to "connect" with my alma mater through facebook, I want to connect to PEOPLE I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH through facebook.

When did facebook stop being about joining groups dedicated to Derek Zoolander and obscure 80s references, and start being something that wants you to care?
 

1 comment:

  1. the blessed u! the blessed u!



    bahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete