Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Swearing: Does a body good

Periodically I start a goal of making Mormon friends.  The fact that I have to renew this goal on a biannual basis should indicate how successful I usually am at these ventures.

Recently some churchsters invited me over for dinner, so I went.  Our host was wearing a wrinkly, undersized shirt, and at one point one of his former roommates remarked, straight-faced, "Do you own an iron, Billy?"

I couldn't help it - I piped up with, "Wow, that is phenomenally ---" (and at this point I realize I can't say bitchy, considering the company, but jeez, is there a synonym for bitchy that will work as well in this context?) ... "girly," I finish lamely.

This, of course, wrecked the joke, and led at least one person to wonder if we were talking about flat irons.

4 comments:

  1. What if THEY all wanted to swear around YOU but were holding back bc they figured YOU were the churchster? I'm just saying, I know from experience that eventually, someone's gotta break the ice. You could well be with a group of closet-swearers and never know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I am Mormon but I would be fine with it. I mean, I don't say it, actually a personal choice, not a Churchy choice, but plenty of the more relaxed Mormon, my kinda Mormons, DO, so who cares? It is not like it it the BAD BAD flagrantly awful words. I want to call people that name often, but I chose to decide I wouldn't an even so, often feel like curses, foiled again!

    Like just now when I saw you still have word verification up, I thought it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do it all the time... My friend actually told me if I came over for dinner, I couldn't swear. I was like, umm, I'm busy. If people can't handle a little swearing from an inactive girl who wants to go back to church, they don't get to know me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I couldn't swear, my head would probably explode. Maybe this is why I don't normally hang out with Mormon people.

    ReplyDelete