Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Bar application fun

(I really know how to end 25 in style, huh?)

From my application for the Utah bar application:*

Have you ever been terminated, suspended, disciplined or permitted to resign in lieu of termination from any job?  If yes, please explain.


I was a tutor for a local junior high’s after-school study program when I was in high school.  During the winter of 2002, my high school drumline was invited to perform during the 2002 Winter Olympics and Winter Paralympic games.  After I rearranged my tutoring schedule to accommodate my performance schedule too many times, the program director called my parents and informed them that I had been fired.  I was never contacted by the program director directly about my termination and never disciplined or warned about my behavior prior to the termination.








* It may seem ridiculous, but they really do want to know.

5 comments:

  1. That's like a hypothetical in an Employment Law examination!

    Awesome.

    I can see violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 peppered throughout that thing. Not to mention all kinds of Contracting rights. Sadly, though, the Statute of Limitations is tight on these things. You're likely unable to bring an action anymore.

    Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you have to actually be paid for a job before you can sue for a "civil rights" violation. So I would guess the statue of limitations is moot?

    I thought this was volunteer work - so the OP was actually replaced, let go or released - can't really be fired when you are a volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Sounds like you were a pretty wild kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, right? Between this and the library fines, I'm seriously getting concerned about my OWN character and fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @SkippyMom--all tongue in cheek, my dear. All tongue in cheek. :)

    ReplyDelete