Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Seven

I have realized that seven is my optimal friend-making number.

When I don't know anyone (as I do here, in Austin), I can't make friends in a crowded gym.  It looks fun, and if Diego, Kate, Alicia, Hannah, Rob, Sally, Aaron, etc. were here to boogie down with me, I would have gladly joined the dance party.

But when I'm alone, I just can't seem to do it.

You would think this makes me more of a one-on-one girl, but you'd be wrong.  I'm not good at putting my best foot forward, nor am I a very good judge of character.  Meeting a brand new person is generally an excruciating experience for me, and very rarely results in a brand new BFFship being formed.

Which is why college and law school were my ideal friendship-making zones.  You were constantly in smallish of groups of people, usually too lazy to leave the premises.  Friendships just were--it was very Zen.  Groups of seven people, hanging out and doing something?  I am all over that action.

Will someone please find me a play date so I can make some effing friends already?

6 comments:

  1. There really should be playdates for adults. I've heard about some sort of meetup.com thing, but I feel like I should be enough of a big girl to make my own friends the old fashioned way. Alas, so far internet friends across the country seems to be my only effective method. Maybe when I meet people, I should just give them my blog url and let them meet me that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's so sad! I should be good at real-people-interactions by now, but I'm not ... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have formed entire theories around this phenomenon.

    Warning: it makes me sound meaner than I am.

    Brief summary: you are are just a little picky about friends because you prefer making awesome ones. In smaller self-selected groups, a lot of the crazies have already been weeded out so making a hangout friend is easier. Sure, if we had lower friend standards, we could have thousands of friends, but then you wouldn't have a) fun or b) anything in common. And who wants lame friends?

    This seven thing isn't a problem. It's really a sign of a VIP.

    (Does that help? That's how I soothe myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, it helps a lot, thanks :) I'm going to start using this theory whenever I wonder why it's so hard to make friends down here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in that boat out here in San Diego. How come it's so hard to find a group of 6 people that you can just join?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, man. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete