Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

While packing ...

... I am indulging in some prime pop culture.

Think sassy, clever teenage girl living with her law enforcement father.

Think danger and mystery.

Think bad boy love interests.

And forget about vampires.  (I did mention the teenage girl was sassy and clever, right?  That should have been a huge clue from the beginning that I wasn't talking about that Mary Sue Bella Swan.)



For your future reference: I am not particularly a Stephenie Meyer hater.  I read all four of the Twilight books and enjoyed the experience, but I don't think that prevents me from fault-finding.  I think The Host was much better, though still problematic.  As a random sidenote, I'm a bit concerned that she's the 21st Century's George Lucas, in that she has come up with a very clever, poorly executed story, and because she's a cash cow, no one around her is willing to say, "Hey, we think you could do better."*  And if that turns out to be the case, I want it known that I called it here and now.


* For the best review of George Lucas' flaws I've ever found, please see: 



And the subsequent six videos.  It takes awhile to watch, but the entire thing is a Pantheon of geek achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment